2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Alternator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Vermin65803
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Questions

Hello all, I have a 2000 dodge neon that i recently have worked on alot over the last summer. I have replaced eveything from the fuel pump to the oil pump and pretty much everything inbetween. Timing belt, water pump, alternator and wires plugs and coil packs. I have also replaced about every relay switch and sensor exept for one which i cant think of right now. Its the little guy stuck behind the intake. My question comes from why my car is randomly dieing. There is no rhyme or reason to it. At idle at the stop light driving down the road and both warm and cold engines. It just started about a month or so ago. I am getting no codes or check engine lights. The onlyodd reading i am getting is 12.38 volts at the batterey from the altornator. I was under the impression that if the alternator fails the batterey would continue running the car untill the batterey died. There both brand new. I have checked and there are not any loose connections. What the real question is after all this is.... will a failing alternater make the computer shut down the engine so no damage happens to the engine????? Or if there is anything else i should be looking at?????

Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

12.38V...at idle, or when the car is off? That is normal voltage for a charged battery while the car is off. Have you checked under the PDC for corrosion?

Quick Reply: Alternator Questions