2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Hi I'm new an my neon doesn't run!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
yokotaashi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hi I'm new an my neon doesn't run!

I live in Denver,names Andy, I have a 2002 neon I've been crashing and reviving for years and just got a 1996 manual from a neighbor. it looked and ran great for two days only a little squeal in the belt. this morning it felt like it lost compression (?) on the highwAy without warning engine still running couldn't get back into gear no over rev or anything weird other than that an check engine and oil light. after I turned it off tried to restart a while later it turned over and sounded normal but no start. it lurched a little when I turned over in 1st and I can get through all the gears okay but oil is low. any ideas? Batt and alt test good, starter tests old but working for now, haven't done any other testing yet. I'm hoping one of you Will tell me its an oil pressure sensor but that seems too easy. I'm thinking fly wheel but I've never messed with that so again, not sure. 150k miles duel cam.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
yokotaashi
Amateur
Default addendum

I'm confused. its the other neon with a duel cam. the 96 is single. Will update
after work I'm going to add oil and try again

Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The neon does have two engines, one with a SOHC and the other has a DOHC. You may have lost the timing belt, That would be reason of no compression. I will be moving your post to the 2nd Gen Neon section.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
The neon does have two engines, one with a SOHC and the other has a DOHC. You may have lost the timing belt, That would be reason of no compression. I will be moving your post to the 2nd Gen Neon section.
you can "gently" pry the timing cover open at the top to see if they belt is still on and tight with out removing too many things

Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
yokotaashi
Amateur
Lightbulb

Yep looks like you guys are right. I had a buddy turn it over while I was undere the hood after work and noticed that the belt housing was cracked enough for me to pry it back. the serpentine belt turned but the camshaft was decidedly not. I didn't even see the belt anywhere in there. any advice?

Also...I know I am a little confusing sometimes, but this is the 1996 SOHC neon that broke down

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new an my neon doesn't run!