2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

AirCon Issue...

Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
earlyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirCon Issue...

when i've been driving a while on the highway, esp @the hottest parts of the day (and this heatwave the past month or so didn't help much), after a bit, the actual volume of air moving from the vents drops to nearly nothing(low enough flow it quickly becomes stifling to me), and it sounds like a baffle,or the blend door, or something is sticking/freezing closed. If i stop for a while, 30 min or so, it will go back to normal for a bit, but within 20 min or so, back to same thing....

it's mainly happened in the 11a-5p heat, and i only notice it if i've been on the highway for around an hour or so...

thoughts? similar happened to anyone else?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id a good steady stream of water running from ur condensate tube when air is on?

you till hear blower running even though no air flow?

probably the 1 way check valve on brake booster, it supplies vac to the heater control panel for all the different modes

i can give u test procedure but youll need a vac gauge. if you dont have one then the procedure would be useless

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
bph6.7
Default Same issue

I am having the same issue with my 05. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have access to a vaccum gauge. Thank you!!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
earlyre
Professional

hemi, umm, I can tell ya there is a puddle on the driveway after i park if the air has been running...basically, when this is happening, the amount of air coming out, with the switched turned all the way up, is similar to the very lowest setting in normal operation. it sounds like there's an obstruction/constriction in the airflow somewhere...

do not have a vac guage tho.... but they are what $30??

Old 08-06-2011, 03:30 PM
bph6.7
Default Fixed it

This probably won't help you, but it's worth a try. I pulled the blower motor out of mine the other night (three screws and unplugged it) and reached my arm into the box towards the center. When you turn the air on there's a gate that moves back and forth. Mine was blocked by three dead mice and their nasty old nest so the gate could not open. You probably don't have that problem (the mice) but maybe you have some kind of blockage. My air blows like it should now, and it gets cold as heck in the car. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 AM
tragdor

I'm having this same problem in our 2005 Neon. We have had an extremely hot summer and the problem started recently. When the car is first started, the A/C blows normally and cold. After about 20-30 minutes of driving, the A/C air output drops to almost nothing regardless of setting, but is still cold. Engine temperature appears to be okay at the time. Could this likely be compressor related? Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:18 AM
tragdor

After doing more digging, I've found that it's possible that the evaporator core is freezing up. Any idea what would cause that? Does a low a/c charge cause that behavior?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earlyre, vac gague 30 bucks, vac pump about 80 buy a decent metal barreled one like this http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75000-Zi.../dp/B0014DKKAW, and there are lots of other uses for it.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2nujfv7.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/11jrdrl.jpg

Tragdor, sounds like your problem is related to your expansion valve.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Drupjohn

If the air is too humid, the water gathers on the evap as it can't evaporate fast enough. It then freezes, causing lack of air to go through. Just turn the A/C off for about 15-20 minutes to let the ice melt, and it should work again.

Home A/Cs have the same problem.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 PM
earlyre
Professional

any way to prevent/workaround that last post item?
i was gonna ask about insulating the evap can(thinking of preventing buildup of water on outside, as post would indicate), then i thought about it, and that would just make it colder inside, and make it freeze faster/more often, exacerbating the problem...

hrm...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AirCon Issue...