2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rear strut leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Danny Ellis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear strut leaking

So I just pulled out my fiancee's neon out of the garage to clean it out and what not and noticed a small (2inch diameter) pool of oil. I was confused as it was where the rear passenger tire would go. Left it on the driveway for a bit while I cleaned up the garage and moved it in and there was another leak on the driveway. Now I'm just assuming it's the strut, it's definitely a form of oil so I dont "think" it's brake fluid. My question is, is it a relatively easy job to replace? Should I go and do both the left and right rear's while I'm at it? I called autovalue near my house and it's a whopping 125 each :S which seems kind of high to me but we always get crap prices here in Canada it seems.

Anyways, my questions:
1. Rear struts with drum brakes, easy to do? Leave it to the pros?
2. I assume I need an alignment after yes?
3. Could it be anything else in that area?
4. What else should I replace while I'm in the area? If I do get a mechanic to do it, I would like to save labour on other common parts to replace back there. THe car only has 180k KM on it.

Cheers!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To start off, the struts should be replaced in pairs. Changing the rears is a rather straightforward job, but you do need a spring compressor along with the proper hand tools. I suppose it could be a little tricky depending on your skill level.

Anyways, my questions:
1. Rear struts with drum brakes, easy to do? Leave it to the pros?
2. I assume I need an alignment after yes?
3. Could it be anything else in that area?
4. What else should I replace while I'm in the area? If I do get a mechanic to do it, I would like to save labour on other common parts to replace back there. THe car only has 180k KM on it.
1. Brake set up doesn't matter. Depends on your skill level and the tools you have. Maybe?
2. Yes
3. It could be brake fluid. What makes you think it isn't? What color is the fluid?
4. Check your bushings back there. Other than that, I can't think of too much. Check the condition of the strut top hats too I suppose.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Danny Ellis
Amateur

Fluid is darker, feels like oil. I guess I'm not sure what brake fluid feels like but I thought it was much lighter than oil? Also, I checked underneath and its dripping from the strut itself. Not sure if the brake fluid would go down the strut as well but anything is possible right?

Would this test work. Just start up the car, pump the brakes but dont drive anywhere then see if more fluid shows up?

Sounds like it's pretty straight forward. But I think I'll still call around tomorrow to get some quotes.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Danny Ellis
Amateur

Hmm I'm just looking into these Monroe quick struts. Seems pretty damn easy to install. Anyone have experience with them? Video seemed straight forward even though it was the front and not the rear.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM
neon_R/T

The rear is even easier! It's pretty much detach the sway bar and bottom nuts then losen the top nuts and leave one on enough to grab so it doesn't just fall and take the bottom bolts out then the rest of the top. That's pretty much it! And if you have to take any type of brake stuff off (drumb/rotor) do that and be sure not to severely bend the lines. It's about that easy!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake fluid darkens with use. It can be black in color. Brake fluid is also very viscous and oily feeling. Does the strut itself show signs of weepage or leaking, on the strut body?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Danny Ellis
Amateur

Yea it looks quite wet on the body itself. I dont think it's anything to worry about at the moment. If I push on the back and try and make it bounce it still doesn't oscillate more than once or anything. This weekend I think I'll take off the wheel and drum and see where it's coming from for sure.

But have you heard good things about the monroe quick struts? I read one other thread where someone had to drill a bigger or extra hole. I really dont want to have to do it but maybe it's just a rare thing?

Cheers

Old 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Danny Ellis
Amateur

Well I ordered them, shipping sucks to canada, but still even after shipping price was the same as two struts only without the rest of the parts the quick strut has so meh. Still not sure if I should attempt this myself, it seems like it should be easy. I read in another thread people had to drill bigger holes though?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

Nah it's strut oil, brake fluid you'd see from the bottom of the drum, inner backplate side.

Not to mention a squirt that big your proportioning valve will put all the pressure on the fronts to give @least 50% stopping power and you would definately notice that. Not a bad time to bleed your brakes sicne you will have this up in the air r&r'ing the struts.

Never used quick struts though, I'm a cheap'o and re-used my springs but put in new isolators

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Danny Ellis
Amateur

Yea I was thinking that. But I'm only doing the rears for now. Kind of wish I was doing all 4 so I dont have to do two alignments. The front struts seem good though, no leaking at all at least and not bouncy.

I will bleed the brakes when I do the brakes this summer though, they need some TLC.

Quick Reply: Rear strut leaking