2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Dodge Neon SXT Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 PM
zdsmith10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Neon SXT Overheating

So I posted about this before, and this has become a whole new issues of the same type.

My neon has started to overheat in town now if I run my AC.
It has something do do with the AC because I can ride all day with my AC off and nothing will happen to the temp gauge. Turn it on, and after a few minutes, it shoots up. Even while driving through town or on the highway, same issue.

I have flushed the system multiple times, replaced the radiator cap, my dad fixed some hoses that were going bad, no leaks in the head, water pump was replaced less than a year ago with a brand new part, fans run normally, I am completely lost as to what it is.

When it overheats, and I turn it off, the coolant reservoir starts to boil, sometimes it boils through the overflow section, but most times it just sits there and rumbles until the engine cools down.

This is getting annoying, I am basically stuck in this town not able to go anywhere besides to campus and back. Has anyone else had this issue (read about 1st gen neons doing this, but not sure if the same) and more importantly, has anyone gotten it fixed?

Any tips are appreciated!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 PM
frankarnone70
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have heat inside the car? You should have heat before the top radiator hose gets hot. Take the thermotat out put just the gasket in and run the engine. Also. grab the heater hoses about 5 min after idle they should be warm aswell.

I resently replaced my thermostat and water pump and I had no heat and thermostat stayd shut. I had to flush the radiator with water for 5 mins. There was prolly some RTV that came off the new waterpump and made its way in the radiator. She's all good now.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Neon SXT Overheating