2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

No Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:20 PM
pfd843
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank No Start

Good afternoon all. Got a good one for the resident neon gurus.
2000 neon 5spd 150000miles.
Monday: very cold (-15 high temp) no crank, no start. tried jumper cables. no change

Tuesday: still cold (+5 high temp) no crank, no start. did the jumper cable thing again. got a few rotations but no start. let charge longer. nothing happens. back to no crank, no start.
took battery to get tested. bad cells in battery. only pushing 300cca. this battery is only 14 months old. put new battery in. still no crank, no start.
pulled solenoid wire and have 0 volts while in crank position. ran wire from solenoid to battery positive. nothing happens. checked clutch switch. have 8+ volts on the 2 outer wires and ground on the middle wire. jumped across clutch switch, no change at solenoid.
car was running great before this happened. daughter says that car has been starting (rotating) slow. could be the bad battery. could be a bad starter. what am i missing here? i have 0 volts at solenoid under normal starting procedures. if a run a wire from solenoid to battery positive nothing happens. the only code that came up was p1684 which is lost power to pcm. please help. my next step is to remove starter and have it tested. i'm not sure this is the problem since i get no volts at solenoid under normal starting condition. is there a way to check the pcm? check voltage? please help.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Mad Professor
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First you need to solve PCM issue to make sure it's not that.
no power to pcm, sounds like a fuse blew or loose connection. Check under the fuse box for a loose grounding strap and check all grounds on the car, check fuse box for blown fuse check interior fuse box (driver side, left of dash) for bad fuse as well.

For the solenoid wire, it sounds like you're not using your DMM correctly.
You need it on DC, red probe on solenoid wire, black on ground, which is - on battery or any bare chassis or engine block, now turn the key to full/start position, you should get 12v. Release key so it goes back to it's run position, it should go 0.
if you don't get 12 volts or it stays 12 then you got problems with the ignition switch or PCM.

if your engine still won't crank, then focus on the starter. If you have a manual transmission, try push starting it, if it starts then you have a bad starter.

If you have an automatic, remove the starter and test directly, ground the starter with a jumper cable, then positive to positive on the bolt where wire strap goes on and the starter should spin the engaging gear. If it doesn't and the starter get's hot or doesn't at all then you have bad starter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mad Professor; 01-10-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: No Crank No Start