DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   2003 neon rt , having starting problems (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/384248-2003-neon-rt-having-starting-problems.html)

poohty_t 02-16-2015 06:46 AM

2003 neon rt , having starting problems

Ok so , i have a 2003 neon rt ( manual ) . Recently i have noticed, once in a while , on start up , the car would idle low for about 10 -15 seconds just when starting up, like it was going to possibly die, normally just under 1k RPM. This would only happen once in a while. Last night , i drove it about 1 mile away from home, turned it off, 5 minutes later went back home, everything worked fine. Came back out 5 minutes later to leave again , and on start up ,it would turn over , would fire up , but engine shook and idled low and died, tried numerous times to start it, same thing, wouldnt run, idled wierd , engine shook, died. So i left it alone for about 2 hours, came back tried again, fired right up , like most normal start ups. Then this am when i was going to work, tried to crank it, and it wouldnt fire up. Would turn over, just not fire up at all. Anyone got some ideas on what this is ? i was thinking maybe my starter ( hopefully cause id like a quick and easy find and fix here) .My car has about 140k miles on it. I normally drive it about 6 miles a day for work thats really it. Hoping i can find some answers here....

jkeaton 02-16-2015 09:08 AM

If it turns over, then the starter is fine. When was the last tune up? Possible dirty TB, or IAC bad. Any check engine light?

poohty_t 02-16-2015 09:37 AM

I havent had a tune up. What is a TB or bad IAC ? And no , check engine light has not been on while running any time . When im trying to crank it , it lights up, but so does everything else.

jkeaton 02-16-2015 09:40 AM

TB - Throttle body. IAC - Idle air control.

I'd start with a basic tune up.

poohty_t 02-16-2015 09:41 AM

hmmm, ok , im not mechanically inclined so ill have to take it to someone for that. If i can even get it cranked. i will clean the throttle body first myself, that i can do , and cross my fingers

poohty_t 02-16-2015 09:55 AM

what would a tune up be considered for this car?

jkeaton 02-16-2015 04:27 PM

Plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap (if it has one), air filter, oil and filter change. Your owners manual will tell you specifics for your car. Easy stuff if you can turn a wrench. Plenty of videos on you tube.

richards83 02-16-2015 04:42 PM

A tune up on a Neon would pretty much consist of changing the spark plugs, air filter and pcv valve. Maybe a throttle body cleaning and changing the plug wires if they look like they're original.
Intermittent problems can challenge even the best mechanics. They can be a pain in the arse. I'd start with the simple stuff like electrical connectors and ground wires. Sometimes just unplugging an electrical connector and plugging it back in can fix a problem. Same with ground wires; loosen the bolt/screw, turn the terminal lug a bit and tighten it back down.
I've seen bad crankshaft sensors cause starting problems like yours without setting a code, so that's another thing to check. Good luck.