2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Need help understanding Remote Entry Receiver

Old 08-08-2015, 05:35 PM
cougarmt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help understanding Remote Entry Receiver

I just bought a 2004 SXT, and among the few "issues" it has, the power door locks and the remote trunk release do not work. I can hear the Remote Entry Receiver click when any of the buttons are toggled, but none of the solenoids respond.
Any ideas that would help me get these working, would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-09-2015, 03:04 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

to clarify: do the locks and truck release work normally with the manual switches?

or they do not work with both fob and manual buttons/switches?

Old 08-09-2015, 01:35 PM
cougarmt

Primem -

The locks function as they should with the manual buttons. The trunk release only works via the key. Both the lock and trunk release electric switches activate the remote receiver, but the signal does not reach the solenoids. I do not have the OEM key fob (and the previous owner never had one either...). Do you know if it's possible to obtain an OEM fob and program it to this receiver, or do I need to figure out how to bypass the receiver altogether?

Thank you!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM
cougarmt

Solution found! A semi-duh! moment.... The Remote Entry Receiver uses a fuse on the output side of things to activate the door lock solenoids; the fuse is a 20A, labeled for the receiver, not "Door Locks" (or something like that) that I was looking for. So even though the receiver could be heard clicking when toggling any of the door lock buttons, it needs the additional circuit to run the solenoids.... I had simply assumed something more sinister.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 AM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I applaud you for posting your resolution. This thread could be useful for someone in the future.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:18 PM
cougarmt

As soon as I can get my hands on a wiring schematic, I can only surmise that the Remote Entry Receiver is powered by two different circuits; one for the input side, and one for output side. What I call the Command and Control setup... when you either toggle the door lock buttons manually, or via the key fob (or press the trunk release button), you are actually "requesting" that that particular function be carried out. The Receiver takes that request, and then sends the "command" down the line to the "control" end (door lock solenoid, trunk release solenoid, etc.) using 12 volts through a fuse and relay (or vice-versa). If all the other pieces/parts are functioning properly, you get what you wanted/"requested".
Now to order fobs, and get them programmed by a dealer..... )

Old 11-27-2017, 12:49 PM
KeithD
Smile Thanks for the information!

Originally Posted by cougarmt
Solution found! A semi-duh! moment.... The Remote Entry Receiver uses a fuse on the output side of things to activate the door lock solenoids; the fuse is a 20A, labeled for the receiver, not "Door Locks" (or something like that) that I was looking for. So even though the receiver could be heard clicking when toggling any of the door lock buttons, it needs the additional circuit to run the solenoids.... I had simply assumed something more sinister.
I
Hi there! My right door (Drivers side here in South Africa) wasn't working earlier, and i had to lock it manually. It feels like you comment made it to work because after reading it, i went to the car to check fuse (20A), ready to open the door manually, i i figured out its now working now with my key-less entry remote. I will later check the fuse you mentioned, just to make sure its all good. Could it be that someone tried to temper with my door?

Thanks a lot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help understanding Remote Entry Receiver