2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Heating/Cooling System Problems

Old 10-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Etanimulc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating/Cooling System Problems

A deer ran out in front of my car while I was doing about 45mph. I hit it on my front passenger side. Now my heat isn't working like it was. I think my heat may have been going out before the accident. Can someone tell me what may be wrong and how I can fix it.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Heating/Cooling System Problems

Need a lot more info. Whats not working? The fan? the heater core? Could be a plugged heater core, bad fan motor, bad climate control switch.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Etanimulc
Rookie

ORIGINAL: casper

Need a lot more info. Whats not working? The fan? the heater core? Could be a plugged heater core, bad fan motor, bad climate control switch.
Can you tell me how to check for these problems? The "hot and cold fluid gauge," (for the lack of the proper name of the thing) is below the cold level. It usually is about half way between cold and hot, but significantly more towards the cold side.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:14 PM
casper
Legend

Fan- Is it blowing air when its on?

Climate control- Does it switch from hot to cold when you slide the lever? Are you getting any difference in temp when you slide it? can you hear a vacum noise?

Heater core- Is there water on the passenger floor. This one is a little harder cause it could be plugged. If you look in the engine compartment, you will see 2 hoses going through the passenger side of the firewall. With you engine fully warm, put the heat on and feel both hoses, careful they get pretty hot. If only one is hot then your heater core is clogged.

The "hot and cold fluid gauge," (for the lack of the proper name of the thing) is below the cold level. It usually is about half way between cold and hot, but significantly more towards the cold side.
I am assuming that you are talking about the engine temp gauge by the spedometer? It should be at about horizontal, maybe a little more towards the hot side.

I am gonna guess that its the heater core, but I can't be sure without more info. It is usually the promblem when the heat stops working.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Etanimulc
Rookie

ORIGINAL: casper

Fan- Is it blowing air when its on?

Climate control- Does it switch from hot to cold when you slide the lever? Are you getting any difference in temp when you slide it? can you hear a vacum noise?

Heater core- Is there water on the passenger floor. This one is a little harder cause it could be plugged. If you look in the engine compartment, you will see 2 hoses going through the passenger side of the firewall. With you engine fully warm, put the heat on and feel both hoses, careful they get pretty hot. If only one is hot then your heater core is clogged.

The "hot and cold fluid gauge," (for the lack of the proper name of the thing) is below the cold level. It usually is about half way between cold and hot, but significantly more towards the cold side.
I am assuming that you are talking about the engine temp gauge by the spedometer? It should be at about horizontal, maybe a little more towards the hot side.

I am gonna guess that its the heater core, but I can't be sure without more info. It is usually the promblem when the heat stops working.
Yeah, the fan is blowing when I turn the heat on, but its not as hot as it used to be. I don't think it will be affective in 30' or less, weather. I think I'm getting a temperature change when I slide the lever. I hear the vaccuum noise, I know its different from the fan blowing. There's no water on the passenger floor. How would I unclog the heater core?

Old 11-09-2005, 02:57 PM
ewetho
All Star

Check your heaters hoses from the block and see if they are warm. If they are then check you doors in ou heating system. Ie inside and outside air, and floor and temp. Make sure that it changes the more you change the settings. If the mode and blend doors work then make sure those hoses are not kinked. Also check you sensor for proper operation make sure you car is actually warming up properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heating/Cooling System Problems