2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

04 neon, idled rough, made loud pop sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Housley11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 neon, idled rough, made loud pop sound

Ok, so about a week ago, I was driving my moms 04 neon. I was parked and was surfing the net on a wi fi hot spot when the car started idling rough. What it did was it would drop about 100 rpm and then go right back up to normal. It would do this every couple seconds. It did this for about 10 minutes. Then there was a loud poping sound from the engine, like a hose had blown. It also sounded like some sort of fluid was spraying against the fire wall. I immediately shut the vehicle down. When we moved the vehicle, there was a small puddle that looked like oil. We toke the car to the mechanic, and he claims that the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump need to be replaced. However, on the estimate he gave us, he had written "engine shakes, suspect timing off". I dont like going off a whim, especially when this mechanic has screwed me before. He also said that one of the engine mounts needs to be replaced, but that had visual confirmation. What's y'alls thoughts?

Old 12-26-2016, 06:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Find someplace else. Why would you go back to someone who screwed you over before?'

Old 12-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Housley11

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Find someplace else. Why would you go back to someone who screwed you over before?'
He screwed me when i took my truck to him to get the speedometer fixed. It was bouncing around and and told him what needed to be replaced (one of the plastic gears in the transfer case). He ended up replacing the other gear that meshes with it claiming that the one i said needed to be replaced never goes bad and he claimed the he checked the speedometer and it was accurate. When i got the truck back, the speedometer was still bouncing and was still inaccurate. I ended up having to replace the gear myself. So, I myself wont go back to the guy. However, he's been pretty decent to my parents, so they took it to him as it is their vehicle.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:10 AM
Will Haer

air intake hose not correctly on or maybe has a hole?