2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil light/Check Engine light on, Crank won't turn manually, Oil Pressure problem?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Mad Mack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light/Check Engine light on, Crank won't turn manually, Oil Pressure problem?

04 Neon SXT died while on the freeway going about 60, with foot still on the gas. I noticed fast decelleration, and both the oil light and check engine light came on. Battery soon died after waiting about an hour and a half for towing, with the hazards on and such.

After getting the car towed back home, I waited til the next day to troubleshoot what happened, while charging the battery over night.

However, now the engine won't crank. The starter gets juice and makes whooshing noise, but it wouldn't engage with the flywheel.

At first, we thought it was the battery. Maybe there wasn't enough juice getting to the starter for it to engage. Got it checked and recharged at O'Reilly's, and it was fine.

Took the starter out, got it tested as well, and it was fine. Engaged and everything.

Checked codes. Camsensor and cranksensor were bad. replaced both. Still nothing.

We poked a hole in the timing belt cover to see what was going on. Turns out the timing belt isn't turning either.

Took the cover off, and nothing was wrong with it. So, we tried to manually turn the crank and it won't budge.

We figured this might be where the problem lies.

I read online that this could be an oil problem with the crank/rod bearings. Or some sort of oil pressure problem, which would make sense since the oil light came on the day it died. Would this make sense with my situation? Any opinions?

What should I do next?

Last edited by Mad Mack; 02-22-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: extra info

Search this Thread