2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

neon wont start it only cranks

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:20 PM
neonlight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neon wont start it only cranks

2004 dodge neon sxt
I had been having a oil leak from my camshaft position sensor. A week ago I installed a new one(turned out the old one was cracked in half). My car started having a hard time starting so I got another camshaft position sensor and it started up and ran like normal. Now a couple days later, I was driving on the highway and my RPMs started fluctuating up and down real fast and then the car just died out. Towed it home and I got code P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor circuit bank 1. So when I tried to start it, it would just crank. So I went ahead and installed a new Crank position sensor. Now when I try to start it, it will keep cranking but after about 3 seconds there will be a loud Pop noise and it actually blew the intake hose off (the hose between the throttle body and the intake manifold.
what do yal think this is??
​​​​​​​thanks

Old 07-20-2017, 02:18 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you using an aftermarket or OEM sensor? These cars tend to prefer Dodge parts, especially when it comes to sensors.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 AM
33lions

Agree with these not liking non-Mopar parts, seen alot of cheap cam sensors not work right or at all out of the box.
Did you check your wiring? I replaced my sensor last year and afterward it ran worse, I then checked the harness and and found it was bad. New pigtail from Napa and it was running like new, (sensor turned out to not even be bad so i at least have a spare now). I've actually had to replace several pigtails throughout the car, they seem to be an issue on these.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 PM
neonlight
Default both sensors were a brand from autozone

Cam sensor was valuecraft brand and crank sensor was bwd.
no I haven't tried replacing the connector yet. I did inspect the wiring. Do the connectors go bad or the wiring?
​​​​​​​thanks

Old 07-23-2017, 06:51 PM
neonlight

Thanks for the replies. The camshaft sensor was valuecraft brand from Autozone and the crankshaft position sensor is BDW from Autozone. I just ordered a new oem camshaft sensor from Dodge. I'll update on what happens.

Quick Reply: neon wont start it only cranks