2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Driveline Vibration When Turning Right

Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM
CrashBandit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline Vibration When Turning Right

Hi. I've searched high and low for similar issues and I cannot find a solution.

I have a vibration when turning right only at any speed, as low as a couple mph. If driving at speed, say 50mph, I only need to turn right slightly to get the vibration. It sounds like a "humming" noise but you feel it though the car/wheel and floor. The kicker is, is it only does it when the clutch is engaged. If I am at any speed and turn right and push the clutch in and hold it in, there is zero vibration/hum. While doing 50mph as mentioned above, with the clutch in, it's a normal car when turning right. This leads me to believe its something in the gearbox. But what?

This all happened after I changed all 4 motor/trans mounts. The mounts are not OEM but from a parts store. I have also just recently replaced the wheel bearings and hubs and brand new axles. I thought it was a wheel bearing at first in which I changed the wheel bearings. I later on discovered that the vibration goes away with the clutch in (disengaged).

I did not remove the axles when replacing the motor mounts. Could the axle's have bent something internal when lifting the motor to change the front mount?

I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:57 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.
Reading the header, my first thought was a CV joint belonged on the suspect list but I see you've replaced the axles.
Did you access this sites no cost FSM work proceedures when raising the engine to replace the mounts?

Last edited by paw paw; 09-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:07 PM
CrashBandit

I am not sure where the procedures are on this site. I looked up the information from a variety of places on replacing the mounts and raising the motor. I would be curious to review them if you could point me in the right direction. I still have not figured the vibration out.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:53 PM
paw paw
Captain

Look in the "Stickey"section atop the forum index page & click on the Part#/Maintenance Intervial/Fluid capacities sticky, when it opens scroll down to the Bottom Center of the 1st post, to find your year Neon under the 2nd Gen Neon header & click on your year range. If you have a Google account, log in to that to open the file. Down load it for future reference if you like.
As I remember there was a torque tightening sequence we are to use when having the engine lifted to replace the mounts, so it might be worth reviewing to see how close you got with your procedure, as something might be in a bind. OR, the CV joints in the new axle might not be right??? Lots of unknowns right now, but seeing as how you say it didn't show up until After the mounts were installed, thats a back up to & go forward point to begin the trouble shoot.
I'm not a suspension guru, so maybe others that are experienced will chime in with clues on where best to look next.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 09-17-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM
CrashBandit

I didn't know what you meant by "FSM". I see that you were referring to the Factory Service Manual. I did have that when I was going through the mount replacement. I see what you referring to about the right mount placement. I did mark the mount alignment prior to removing the mount as instructed. I could look back to see if something is off. I hope that could be the issue. I am not sure what else could be the problem. Thanks for questioning my process. I wouldn't have thought to look at that. Now I need to find some time to check it out.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:26 PM
paw paw
Captain

Yes FSM = Factory/Field Service Manual. Ok let us know how the trouble shoot goes.

I know what you mean about finding time, the Wife's 2000 just poped a pinhole leak in the radiator top center, so off to pick up & install a new replacement, so she'll get out of my truck!!!! lol

Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 PM
paw paw
Captain

Let us know what you find.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:28 PM
CrashBandit

So I have not torn into it yet but I do look back at the procedure as well as look back into the car. I looked back at the mount and its still aligned with the outer tracing. I really don't to have to tear it apart again. I am wondering if its the mount itself as its not an OEM Dodge mount. I am still baffled as the vibration is non existent when the clutch is disengaged.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 PM
CrashBandit

I decided to look at the trans mount. I think this could be the issue. It looks like the mount isn't straight in the bracket and you can see where the mount is rubbing on the bracket. I can't find any images online to compare the mounting.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 PM
paw paw
Captain

I think your on to something, seeing as how the problem didn't come about until After the replacement engine mounts were installed.

Last edited by paw paw; 10-21-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Search this Thread