2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Neon SXT SKIM/ VTSS trouble, Help!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:53 PM
sbzro870
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Neon SXT SKIM/ VTSS trouble, Help!

Ok. New to forum. Read most all threads looking for mention of identical problem. no luck. So, here goes. I have a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT. About 85000 miles on it. No longer under warranty. Last week, my girls were in the car and the VTSS just activated on it. At first, it was sporadic. Then it all went down hill from there. The alarm system shut the car down in traffic. They were able to get it going enough to limp it back home. I started the car and it ran fine. Waited about 20 mins for the it to shut off. Never happened. Tried to start the car the following morning. Alarm system(VTSS) active. Yes, the little red light on the dash is on. Called around several dealers and one swore it was the oil level. Checked that out and oil level is fine. Now, I don't know alot about the VTSS/SKIM but somebody suggested calling a locksmith to get new keys and to match them to the car. Is this possible? Can I avoid the dealer by doing this? Does ANYONE else have this problem? No warning just BAM! it don't work. I need this car but I don't have alot of money to put forth to a vehicle which may never run again. If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
sbzro870

Update: I now have read that my scanner won't work with the cars system because of the immobilizer being active. That said, I have looked into this problem alot further. The keys more than likely have somehow lost their codes. Next attempt will be to get a locksmith with a DRBIIIT code reader to cut new keys and to match them to the vehicle. Once done, if this solution works, problem solved? I think not. IF I get this car running again there is a good chance I will sell or trade it. Not sure. If this happened once, what is stopping it from happening again? Also, I have been reading up on TSB and recall info for this problem and there is a recall for the PCM... Hmmm... Think Dodge might know about this and not told anyone? I have tried to open doors, trunk, hood, disconnect battery, cycle keys, and look for bad/ old burnt fuses and relays. No difference. Stay tuned...

Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 PM
sbzro870

Update: After contacting a locksmith he told me right off the bat that what I have is a dealer issue. Nothing a locksmith can do about this. So, if anyone reading this is having same issues, get ready to come up with a boatload of cash cuz now it goes to the dealer. Last resort. By the way, I plan on taking it to the dealer and ask them before any work is done if the alarm/SKIM/SKIS/VTSS or what ever this dumb thing is if it can be deactivated. If not then I will have no choice in what happens next. I'll have to take it to a chop shop and i'm sure they will know how to deactivate this dumb thing. The car is paid for and is almost 10 years old. Who, would want to steal it? Really?! I knew that something else was going to put this car out of commission so that's why I put a junkyard alternator in it. Gut feeling...

Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 PM
sbzro870

Well alrighty then, No takers huh? Oh well, problem solved. Thanks for not replying all. So glad my fellow SXT owners felt it absolutely necessary to read but not comment. So happy I'm part of another useless club. By the way, if anyone reading this IS interested the problem is/was the PCM. Yes, the PCM. Cost= 1100 at the dealership. Wow! Just at the mercy of whoever fixes this. Later...

Old 12-30-2017, 09:22 PM
Brandy Ainsworth

I'm right here with ya dude....3 years later but

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Neon SXT SKIM/ VTSS trouble, Help!