2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

[05 Dodge Neon SXT] No Crank P0344

Old 08-31-2018, 07:57 AM
devildog9903
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [05 Dodge Neon SXT] No Crank P0344

My daughter's 2005 Neon SXT quit on her while she was driving on the highway. She said that it just cut off, no loud noises or anything like that. the car will turn over but will not crank.
It is getting fuel (after a long session of trying to crank it you can smell the gas). I have read that the car should still run (though poorly) even with a P0344.

CEL Codes:
P0344

Parts Replaced:
Cam Shaft PS (Twice)
Cam Shaft PS Magnet
Cam Shaft PS Wiring Harness
Crank Shaft PS

I am not a mechanic, just a Dad trying to fix his daughters car. Could this be a broken timing belt? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.
Good idea to have scanned for trouble code clues & posted the Number.

The P0344 is for a Intermittent camshaft sensor signal, the kind Techs hate to deal with, so you get a good Dad Attaboy!!!
SO, since at present since you only seem to have a P0344 maybe have a read here https://www.obd-codes.com/p0344, to back probe with your multimeter to check that the computer is sending it a 5volt Ref & its getting to the cam sensor electrical connector. If missing, while back probing with your multimeter, wiggle the wiring harness all the way from the computer to the sensor electrical connector. Make sure the sensor pins/sockets are locked into place/not pushed back, or bent, same for the computer end electrical connector pins/sockets.
If back probing the reference 5volt signal at the computer electrical connector doesn't show anything, suspect a computer problem.

It takes air, fuel & spark to make em run & compression to make em run well. Have you used your inductive timing light to also safely check for spark, in case you have more than one problem?
I know you said you can smell fuel, but in case Murphey's Law is messing with you, have you also checked fuel pressure & delivery rate with your fuel pressure gauge?
Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:32 PM
devildog9903
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I will start with back probing the sensor and go from there. I'll get back with you on my findings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [05 Dodge Neon SXT] No Crank P0344