2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

04 neon cam seal still pouring oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Alyssa Elaine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 04 neon cam seal still pouring oil

Hey guys, my 04 neon was pouring oil from the passenger side under the timing belt area so I changed the cam seal which was a pain. Started it back up and after a few minutes it started pouring oil again. UGH! I'm a pretty decent mechanic and I'm about 100% positive I didn't roll the seal or damaged it when I put it in. I'm about to tear it apart again but could it be coming from somewhere else? The timing belt is soaked in oil.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Alyssa Elaine

I took it all back apart and the seal looked fine. It wasn't rolled, cut, or popped out. I'm going to put another one in anyway because I damaged the seal trying to get it out to inspect it. The oil looks fine, no signs of antifreeze in the oil so I'm guessing the head gasket isn't the culprit. Stay tuned...

Old 12-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Alyssa Elaine

ok well I put in ANOTHER seal and this time I hooked up the timing belt and alternator while leaving the ps pump, a/c belt off and the outside cover plates so I could see it. It's still leaking from the seal area! I can't see the seal leaking because of the back plate but oil is flowing down the inside of the back plate from the top all the way down. I don't see any scouring, scratches, or anything that might cause oil to get through the seal. Help please!!

Quick Reply: 04 neon cam seal still pouring oil