2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Radio volume issues

Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
thecause17
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio volume issues

I just bought my 02 R/T and am having a problem with the radio volume that I didn't come across in my initial test drive.

The volume goes up fine when you turn it up, but when I try to turn it down, it either goes up even more or doesn't do anything. Occasionally it will briefly work, but not very often. It's a very annoying problem and sometimes it goes up high enough that it sounds like the speakers are about to blow out.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it? I really don't want to replace the whole unit. I'm hoping to be able to disassemble it and clean the related parts, but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this and had any luck.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its in the dial a cleaning most likel;y wont do anything
buy a nice pioneer or something

Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 PM
kingjim9

I've never heard of anyone having that problem but like hemi4spd suggessted it's probably not going to be fixable by a simple cleaning.

You can get head units pretty cheap, and there not hard at all to install either, or if you don't feel like doing the install yourself you can try to catch some place whenever they have free installation specials or something.

but replacement would probably be your best bet here, IMO, especially if your dealing with the stock radio.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 AM
thecause17
Veteran

I'd be fine putting a new head unit in it, but I also have the factory CD changer as well and I'd like to be able to keep that, that's why I'd like to keep this head unit. The stereo sounds good enough to me already, I'm not big into stereos so I'm happy with the stock stuff.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 PM
kingjim9

You could pull it out, and tear into it as much as possible and clean it up as much as possible, use some low pressure compressed air and rubbing alcohol. There's no gaurantees but it could be worth a try. Test it before you put it back into the dash, and if it still doesn't work just replace it.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:10 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The volume control **** comes out with a few screws.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yeah like darth says comes off with a few screws and than get a can of air and clean it up and should be ok. Mine has done that when I use to have a stock cd player .

Old 01-01-2011, 12:42 PM
thecause17
Veteran

I took it out today. Cleaning the internals of the control itself didn't seem to be possible as it's an all enclosed switch soldered to the board. I sprayed it down with electronics parts cleaner anyway, and tried to get some down the plunger in hopes that it would reach the parts inside. Whether it did or not I don't know. I also put some dielectric grease on the plug contacts from the ribbon cable and it works like a charm now so hopefully it's good to go for a while.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM
kingjim9

glad to hear you got it working! time to put this one in the books.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Dirtywerk
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing and resetting the ribbon wire probably removed some corrosion on the contacts that was causing the problem. I was told by a tech with Apple Computer to do that to their removable memory boards when my early Performa PC began acting up. He said it was a common problem in regions with high temperatures and humidity where oxidation/corrosion would develop between the contacts and by being moved around the crud would be scraped away to renew a complete connection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio volume issues