DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   power steering control valve (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/49914-power-steering-control-valve.html)

hlfbck20 02-24-2006 01:34 AM

power steering control valve

has anybody had to replace their power steering control valve at all?? if so how hard was it and where exactly would it be located? any input would be great thanks

casper 02-24-2006 01:40 AM

RE: power steering control valve

What is a power steering control valve? As far as I know you either replace the pump, hoses, or rack. What is wrong with your steering?

hlfbck20 02-24-2006 02:23 AM

alright so the mechanic said the valve controls how the engine idles when the cars turning or some bull**** like that... but my check engine light came on so i took it to get looked at and after they raped me for the diagnostic it came up as....P0551.. and thats the code for the control valve... and i think its kinda near the radiator bc i looked under my car the other day and i saw some red-ish coloerd fluid barely drippin off the bottom of the radiator rack...

casper 02-24-2006 02:28 AM

You got me. How much do they want to fix it?

hlfbck20 02-24-2006 02:32 AM

125 for the part..... and then there is the ass raping labor fee.... i got rocked for an $80 diagnostic fee.. i was pissed about that... they didnt tell me that when i made the appt.. they told me this morning when i dropped the car off.. i wanted to fight someone but w/e it go done

casper 02-24-2006 02:47 AM

See if you can get the part cheaper from autozone, or somewhere else, that sounds kind of high for a sensor. Then have a local shop do it or do it yourself.

hlfbck20 02-24-2006 02:54 AM

i normally try and do **** myself... most of my car ive done myself.. except the exaust.. partly bc i cant weld...but my brother works at pep boys so ill tell him to get me the part.. but for all i know something could have fallen out and i may not need to get a new part.. who knows...

TJW815 02-25-2006 02:04 AM

If you mean the power steering control switch, it's not hard at all to replace its just in a tight spot thats all. You can get the part from autozone or somewhere like that but it is around 100, I have the how-to in my chilton's manual. If you want I can probably scan it on or something so you can see it.

hlfbck20 02-26-2006 01:12 AM

yeah i got the part for like $40 and i got the haynes manual for like $20 so in set for now.. all i need is time to do this... thanks tho

hlfbck20 02-28-2006 02:40 PM

ok so the manual shows the control switch on the outside of the p/s pump, the fitting that you would put a socket around to take it off. the problem is, mine seems to be INSIDE the p/s pump, and the is no place to put a socket, just the plug for the wire is showing. the car is a 2001 es, anyone have any info?