DIY - Dual Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 AM
torp74
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up DIY - Dual Steering Stabilizer

Well, I finally got around to installing the dual stabilizers on my truck. I originally ordered the Rough Country kit bought off Ebay for $99. Turns out it wouldn't work on my 2002 2500, only works on 2003 and up. Sent it back and got the SkyJacker #7270 set. The 7270 is for 2500 models with a 3.75" axle tube. Thanks to VEETEN for helping me identify the axle, since I was out of town and unable to measure it. Skyjacker has the #7218 for the 1500s with a 3" axle tube.

Anyway, on to the DIY. Skyjacker's instruction were.....ok. Problem is they sent me the instructions for the #7218 model. I got online and d/l'd the correct instructions and went to work.

Tools needed:

1. Pitman arm puller (to remove old stabilizer)
2. Deepwell socket set
3. Torque wrench
4. 3rd hand or C-clamp.

Step 1 - Remove the old stabilizer

Got to use the pitman arm puller here...$9.95 at Harbor Freight Tools

Step 2 - Attach axle bracket to axle on left side of differential using 3.75" u-bolts. Torque to 24 ft. lbs.

Step 3 - Attach one stud and stabilizer to the axle bracket

Step 4 - Attach the other stud and stabilizer to the axle bracket

Step 5 - Pull out the shafts of the stabilizers so that the length is 19" from center-eye to center-eye on each side

Step 6 - Attach brackets to tie rod ends using supplied hardware. Torque to 19 ft. lbs.

Step 7 - Turn steering wheel from left to right to ensure there is no binding or contact.

Step 8 - Clean up, you are done.

The Skyjacker kit was perfect. It was well packaged and very easy to install. The road test revealed a big difference in the way the beast handled, especially when traveling over rough terrain at high speed.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 02-07-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Minor corrections

Quick Reply: DIY - Dual Steering Stabilizer