Write Up: Installing LED Bed Lights that are Activated by the Tailgate

Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Write Up: Installing LED Bed Lights that are Activated by the Tailgate

Things need:
#20 Torx Screwdriver
Wire (Black and Red 18 Automotive Gauge)
Some way to connect wires (I used solder and adhesive lined heat shrink I also put die electric grease over the wires after they are soldered and before I put the heat shrink over it to make sure they are 100% waterproof)
LED Bed Lights
Door Jamb Switch and Connector
Wire Loom
inline fuse

Optional:
Die electric grease (to make 100% waterproof connections)
Some way to organize the wire
Soler Gun/Iron
And a Heat Gun

Difficulty: 5/10 just because you have to know a little about wiring.
Step 1: Remove both tail lights by removing 4 #20 Torx screws (2 per taillight)

Step 2: Install your LED Bed lights wherever you want. I choose underneath the bed rails

Step 3: Run your wires, I ran mine to go into the hole by the bed posts closest to the tailgate

Step 4: Find a place to install the door jamb switch where the tailgate will hit it. I choose to use the left side tailgate latch so I wouldn't have to weld a tab to the tailgate.

Step 5: Wire the door jamb switch. Depending on if you pull the connector from he driver's side (3 wires) or passenger side (2 wires) you'll have an extra wire. The Black/ Orange wire goes to a good ground and the Yellow wire goes to the ground for the LED lights. I choose to tap into the tail light ground. All my wires were ran behind the tail lights and under the truck. I also put the grease in all factory connections as I got through water and this keeps them 100% waterproof.

Step 6: Run a wire from the battery with the inline fuse. Figure out how many amps your LEDs are and add the correct size fuse (if you can't find the exact size use the next one up). Ex: mine use 13 amps so I used a 15 amp mini blade fuse. I didn't get any pictures for this step. I just ran the wire next to the factory harness (in wire Loom) using zip ties to hold the wire in place.

Step 7: Since my door jamb switch and power wire ended up in the driver's side, I had two run the passenger side LED wire to the left side. I did this by going behind the tail slightand follow the factory harness to the driver's side again using zip ties. Solder the power wire to the wire ran from the battery and solder it put the grease on it an slide the heat shrink over the connection. Using the same method for soldering, solder the ground wire to the yellow wire from the door jamb switch. Go back around and organize your wire Loom I used a aggressive tape mount for the wire loom. Again didn't get pictures will add when I take them

Step 8: Reattach the taillights and enjoy your new bed lights!

These were taken in the daytime but you can still see the lights.
Tailgate Up

Tailgate down

Next write up: How to fix a LED 3rd Brake Light so the cargo lights don't stay constantly on.

This is my first write up, so please excuse the lack of pictures.
​​​​

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 06-14-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

I see plenty of pics?

Neat idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Write Up: Installing LED Bed Lights that are Activated by the Tailgate