2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Originally Posted by rmgledhill
Oops, my bad...... newbie
No worries.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

made it run on 3-cylinders

right at about 25 seconds into the video you can hear it switch from 6 to 3 cylinders lol...

the video does it no justice at all though, in person it REALLY sounds bad

sounds like a big kubota 3 banger tractor

for those wondering: it is perfectly normal operation for a cummins in sub zero temps.

In my case I used an IAT fooler to trick the engine into thinking it was below 0*F outside thus activating the built in 3-cylinder high-idle warmup mode.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I'd be curious for you to share the p/n of those springs. I can't see the ones on mine. These springs are so darn soft that the bumpstops are absolutely necessary. How are you liking it so far? How were the jumps?

I picked up some gaskets from Napa yesterday. Gonna add a few handfuls of HP!
Red?....thankfully merc knows more about them than me. How can you go wrong with 3"+ more travel though eh? So far so good. I figure too stiff /short springs may be why I recently had a lower control arm break on me. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by merc225hp
@Ugly1 I missed your post good to read they are in, guess we should have waited and gone with my 7" springs so you could have lost the spacer all together, they should be out soon.
Yeah bro whoda thunk it? I think the dude I bought truck off of must have hooked up with some 1.5"+ lift springs along the way because I measured those spacers at 6". Looks like I could be customer on those 7". haha

Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Technically speaking yesterday, but today I bed lined the bottom of my tailgate. Bottom 4" or so were getting scratched and starting to rust so I got the rust off, cleaned it and then bed lined.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Red?....thankfully merc knows more about them than me. How can you go wrong with 3"+ more travel though eh? So far so good. I figure too stiff /short springs may be why I recently had a lower control arm break on me. Time will tell.
Yup, I can say mine match ya on the color.

Why you breakin shiz? Oh yah....jumps!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Used it to pick up a set of 5 2nd gen Ram 2500 wheels.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Why you breakin shiz? Oh yah....jumps!
I'm pretty sure it happened on the road. 2 concrete slabs had shifted with one sticking about 3/4 of a curb height above the other. Hit it around 50mph, driver side lower control arm broke near the frame. Quite the jarring impact if I recall.

Things which probably contributed besides me thinking it's fun to nail big bumps at speed...The bushings/pivots appeared pretty seized up with dirt and corrosion . put in all new bushings fasteners and some lube now. Those Tuff Country control arms are quite spindly and weak looking to begin with as compared to the stockers. Probably should replace with something more sturdy. Had my buddy repair the broken one for now. Finally those short stiff springs I had with that four link suspension probably isn't exactly the ideal pre-runner type suspension. I have hopes these longer springs may even help relieve some of the stress on the control arms.

In my mind I keep wondering why those four link suspensions don't fail more often. I don't see how they can really even work without binding up and potentially breaking stuff when things get squirrely. But then I'm no mechanical engineer. I guess you just go bigger and beefier when stuff breaks? Slowing down is not an option.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I'm pretty sure it happened on the road. 2 concrete slabs had shifted with one sticking about 3/4 of a curb height above the other. Hit it around 50mph, driver side lower control arm broke near the frame. Quite the jarring impact if I recall.

Things which probably contributed besides me thinking it's fun to nail big bumps at speed...The bushings/pivots appeared pretty seized up with dirt and corrosion . put in all new bushings fasteners and some lube now. Those Tuff Country control arms are quite spindly and weak looking to begin with as compared to the stockers. Probably should replace with something more sturdy. Had my buddy repair the broken one for now. Finally those short stiff springs I had with that four link suspension probably isn't exactly the ideal pre-runner type suspension. I have hopes these longer springs may even help relieve some of the stress on the control arms.

In my mind I keep wondering why those four link suspensions don't fail more often. I don't see how they can really even work without binding up and potentially breaking stuff when things get squirrely. But then I'm no mechanical engineer. I guess you just go bigger and beefier when stuff breaks? Slowing down is not an option.
But some 60s under that sob. They are the definition of beefy

Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove it to work for the first time in three weeks.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
But some 60s under that sob. They are the definition of beefy
read his sig sir. hes got 60's already.......stock!

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?