2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:42 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Yesterday- flushed the tranny 5 times...and ressurected my tranny (took on water the other night, and wouldnt shift out of first and was slipping) Now she shifts through all gears, but somethings still not right...

Today- washed it, checked all fluids, and started getting all the water out of the carpets.....took on ALOT of water the other night...my pass. floor is SOAKED, and smells like crap (muddy water) i think tomorrow im going to cut the carpet out, and look into some vinyl floors....

Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, in an attempt to turn the exhaust out the side, in front of the rear pass. tire, couldn't get the short pipe out of the rear of the muffler. Beat on it for an hour or more with a hammer trying to get it out, but it wouldn't budge. House of Mufflers, where I had the flowmaster super 44 installed, must have torqued the u-bolt muffler clamps down, pretty damm hard. Hoping tomorrow, i can beat on it some more, and break the pipe off, so I can put my 90* bend pipe on it. Sound like a beast tho, without any pipes after the muffler. From what I can hear tho, a high-flow cat is definitely next on the list. Noticed today, both of the O2 sensors are in the pipe, rather than part of the cat. conv., so it should be farely easy to put a universal cat on it.

Will, see what happens tomorrow, after I beat on the lil 8in. pipe, that's wedged into the muffler pipe, for a while.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:22 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
Noticed today, both of the O2 sensors are in the pipe, rather than part of the cat. conv., so it should be farely easy to put a universal cat on it.
Thats the way that the 2000s and 2001s are. It was an undocumented change in the exhaust system. The stock converter is 3", so a 3" Magnaflow will fit in there nicely and is about the right size for either a single 3" exhaust system, or 2.25"/2.5" duals off of the 3" pipe/a muffler.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
well, in an attempt to turn the exhaust out the side, in front of the rear pass. tire, couldn't get the short pipe out of the rear of the muffler. Beat on it for an hour or more with a hammer trying to get it out, but it wouldn't budge. House of Mufflers, where I had the flowmaster super 44 installed, must have torqued the u-bolt muffler clamps down, pretty damm hard. Hoping tomorrow, i can beat on it some more, and break the pipe off, so I can put my 90* bend pipe on it. Sound like a beast tho, without any pipes after the muffler. From what I can hear tho, a high-flow cat is definitely next on the list. Noticed today, both of the O2 sensors are in the pipe, rather than part of the cat. conv., so it should be farely easy to put a universal cat on it.

Will, see what happens tomorrow, after I beat on the lil 8in. pipe, that's wedged into the muffler pipe, for a while.
Can't you just cut the pipe off the muffler? When I went to remove my old flowmaster that was clamped on, I hooked a come along to the muffler and the rear axle and cranked on it until the muffler popped off. It probably wasn't too good for the manifolds but hey, it worked.

For the cat, yours is 3" in and 2.5" out so you will need a 3-2.5" reducer if you get the universal 3" in/out cat from summit.
Also, you would have to be a welding wizard to weld the top of the engine side of a universal cat with it on the truck so drop the y-pipe and the cat after you get it tacked in place to save yourself a headache and weld it up on the ground. Then get some stainless bolts to replace the ones that hold the y-pipe to the manifolds.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redneckrocket38
saw the cel come on today. went by autozone and checked it and it came up with an egr system failure. I thought the 99-01s didnt have egr? I need some help but dont want to start a new thread.

Some did, some didnt, its just the luck of the draw from my understanding. Though i believe the rams made in the US had the EGRs, though Im not 100% on that. I could be wrong

whats weird with the EGR system, is that auto makers are STILL using the system... I think its crap if you ask me. It only recycles the exhaust back into the intake during cold starts to "help reduce" emissions, though its still a pointless system, and there are better ways to reduce emissions. oh well. chit happpens i guess

Old 05-16-2010, 10:18 AM
redneckrocket38
Professional

004x4 are there any prime suspect areas to look for leaks in that bs system? I really dont mind that its leaking because my truck still runs good I just dont like driving around with a cel on. Just went and checked the obdi and give me the code p0442 evap leak monitor leak detected. has any body else had this problem? any help would be great.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker

004x4 are there any prime suspect areas to look for leaks in that bs system? I really dont mind that its leaking because my truck still runs good I just dont like driving around with a cel on. Just went and checked the obdi and give me the code p0442 evap leak monitor leak detected. has any body else had this problem? any help would be great.

the evap leak could be something as simple as the gas cap, i would tap on it a bit and make sure the spring inside it is not stuck or broke as well. it could also be just a simple evap line thats got a hole in it.

per the svc manual availible in the merry christmas thread of the forum...

DRB Scan Tool Readout: P0442-Evap Leak Monitor Medium Leak
Detected
Brief Desc: A small leak has been detected in the evaporative
system

being that it says a small leak, I would suspect a gas cap issue, or a hole in one of the EVAP lines.

your egr code was that a P0401 code?
Readout: P0401-EGR System Failure
Desc: Required change in air/fuel ration not detected during
diagnostic test.

If that was your code i would suspect a sticking EGR valve, if its the OE valve, its probably seen better days.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 AM
redneckrocket38
Professional

Thanks for the help. I just did a visual inspection of the canister and all the hoses, Everything looks okay so im gonna get a can of ether and check suspect areas. Also read about someone putting there gas cap in a plastic bag as test. Gotta go get the code cleared first and give that a shot.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

Thanks for the help. I just did a visual inspection of the canister and all the hoses, Everything looks okay so im gonna get a can of ether and check suspect areas. Also read about someone putting there gas cap in a plastic bag as test. Gotta go get the code cleared first and give that a shot.

Not a problem, though Im not sure if the EVAP system will respond to ether like a vacuum leak, but id think that itd be worth a shot

Old 05-16-2010, 01:19 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

Changed the oil. Went with a Puralator Gold and Valvoline 10w30 High mileage. Also coated the tailgate with the Bed Armor. Looks good, too bad my camera is m.i.a. Also noticed some residual oil deposits in the intake. I did the Hughes Plenum fix. WHAT ELSE DOES IT WANT FROM ME????

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?