2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did I do to my Ram today? Better question is what did I do with it. Today with my Ram, a chain, and a 2ton come-a-long my grandfather, stepfather, and myself hand-winched out a 3/4 loaded 20' U Haul out of a VERY bad situation.

Wanna know what happened? Of course, here goes:

The drive way up to the back door is very narrow and there's a hill and a short drive to the right and the backdoor is to the left, well idea was to pull the truck to the right and then backup to the porch to unload it.

I didn't like the idea because of the small area to work with and the truck has NO turn radius.

Anyway, my grandfather takes the wheel and pulls up about 2' too close to the edge of the road on the right side, there used to be a wood pile there which covered the hole that is there.

So the passenger tire is right on the edge, and I yell at him to stop, he goes forward, then turns the wheels to the right to backup and over the edge the passenger front of the truck goes, dragging up some rather large boulders in the process. So at this point he's stuck, can't go backwards because all of the weight is leaning over the edge, and the passenger front tire is all the way dropped and NOT touching the ground, HOLY ****!!!

He can't go forward either, dead in the water... Which was probably a good thing.

Then just to make it worse it pours for about 2hrs.

Then the step father and mom show up to visit, we gather up a tamping rod and get some of the rocks out of the way, luckily there was no damage to the oil or transmission pan.

So he's thinking of how to get it out because a tow would have been difficult because of the lack of room on the back side.

So he wants to try and get some of the weight of the front of the truck back on solid ground and on slanted/rocky ground use's a floor jack and jacks up the passenger tire enough to get a car ramp under it.

Then we positioned the Ram facing the house, used the 2ton come-a-long and a chain and proceed to winch it, they tell me to get in the U Haul to hit the brake in case it starts to slide, first couple of winches the left front was wanting to go downhill, took all I had to keep the wheel half pointed straight.

So it actually works, we went as far as we could with the Ram where is was, choked the U Haul wheels and re-positioned the Ram, choked all 4 tires (the winch was dragging the Ram) and then about 6 inches backwards later he got in the truck and had enough traction to back out....

I honestly thought the truck was gonna flip, and I didn't get any insurance on it..., talk about being SCREWED, I was totally freaking out...

But it all worked out, no damage to the U Haul, still rides good

Good thing I didn't go for the 24' Diesel.....

I'm sorry I couldn't get pictures, there's not enough cell service to upload to photobucket and my mother's digital camera was dead.... I'll post a picture of the location it happened when I can....

Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it worked out. That's one of those "adventures in moving".

Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Is it safe yet? Truck unloaded??

Sounds like the outcome wasn't too bad.... couple potential pants-filling moments there though I bet.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is it safe yet? Truck unloaded??

Sounds like the outcome wasn't too bad.... couple potential pants-filling moments there though I bet.
Yes, the truck is unloaded! Soon as we had it on all 4's again I got the Ram out of the way and we unloaded that b!tch, then my step-father who's an EMT/Fire Fighter drove the truck down to the bottom of the drive way, all ready to go in the morning

Pant's-filling? Yes, unfortunately I've got a stomach bug or something, had the squirts since we got here yesterday

Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by stewie01
Yes, the truck is unloaded! Soon as we had it on all 4's again I got the Ram out of the way and we unloaded that b!tch, then my step-father who's an EMT/Fire Fighter drove the truck down to the bottom of the drive way, all ready to go in the morning

Pant's-filling? Yes, unfortunately I've got a stomach bug or something, had the squirts since we got here yesterday
Stress. Change of diet. Numerous other little contributors. Make sure you don't get dehydrated, and take care of yourself. (do I sound like your wife/mother? Ugh... )

Congrats! Enjoy the new digs.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 PM
stewie01
Legend

I saw is mistake on my other post, I said once we had it on all 4, it's actually a dually, so once we had it back on all 6, we got it unloaded!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished hooking up my motor in my 94 today and actually got to start it. Its alive again after 3 yrs if no motor. Too bad i have to pull my tranny back out to swap torque converters though.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM
stewie01
Legend

So here's the spot the truck got stuck, it's not CRAZY steep, but I'm not sure the truck could have handled it any steeper. Camera doesn't do a good job display the grade either..

The left front tire was at the block of wood straight up from the yellow floor jack, passenger front tire was right by the jack, those boulders to the right of the jack are what we had to remove from underneath the front suspension.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the truck ready for its 800+ mile trip to Ohio (going to college (UNOH) in October) got some help replacing shocks, steering damper, Moog track bar, HBS 2" spacers (truck still sits lower in the front ), still waiting on sway bar links, and installed a JVC stereo that changes colors by itself crazy I know...

Also replaced my NEW Dayco belt with a new Goodyear gatorback which stopped that bird from chirping under my hood. Went through a new idler pulley (which ripped itself apart while I was driving), tensioner, water pump, and put that Dayco belt on. Turns out my truck has a thing for gatorbacks?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Getting the truck ready for its 800+ mile trip to Ohio (going to college (UNOH) in October) got some help replacing shocks, steering damper, Moog track bar, HBS 2" spacers (truck still sits lower in the front ), still waiting on sway bar links, and installed a JVC stereo that changes colors by itself crazy I know...

Also replaced my NEW Dayco belt with a new Goodyear gatorback which stopped that bird from chirping under my hood. Went through a new idler pulley (which ripped itself apart while I was driving), tensioner, water pump, and put that Dayco belt on. Turns out my truck has a thing for gatorbacks?
You are going to be in Lima??? Really? Only about two hours away.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?