2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to flush my cooling system some day...

Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... That is pretty crazy. Never seen some goo like that before... What could make that happen?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Nereaga
Wow... That is pretty crazy. Never seen some goo like that before... What could make that happen?

Not sure. Never had tyhat goo before in anything either. I ordered a combustion analyzer and caught some of the coolant to test when it arrives just to make sure. But it has not displayed any signs of overheating, and even runs on the cool side. But I want to make sure.

And I saw something a long time ago about grinding the little tab off the tstat housing to make getting it in and out easier.....and did not do this when I did the kegger mod. When I finannly got it out, I ground it off right away. that is one tight space to wrestle that thing out of!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hauled off trash and noticed that AC wasn't very cool (and hasn't been all summer). checked low side with the little refill can's gauge and it showed pressure to be a little low. picked up a can of refrigerant/oil at wal-mart for $14 and let that trickle in. nice and cold now and pressure is up in the middle of the good range. we'll see if it holds charge or not. compressor acting/sounding normal. hot lines hot, cold lines cold. we'll see.

sprayed lysol into the cowl vents to deoderize the air-box.

greased the hood hinges with white lithium spray.

tried to jump start a kid in a little car over at the store with no success. his starter relay would click and the starter solenoid would make a thunk sound, but not turn. i tried to jump him but no change. i checked his battery voltage, it was good at 12.6. time for starter rebuild.

got gas. 3.26 here in GA. checked oil/ok.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by stewie01
Does not look pretty is an understatement!
Did someone have a stop leak in there before?
i think that's oil.

ugly is an understatement. your cooling system needs some TLC in a bad way.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ When I worked at Wal-Mart in Fitz I was leaving work one day and saw that someone needed a jump, I can't remember what they were driving, think is was a SUV or possibly an F150, can't remember, anyway, the ram would not jump their car, several tries, nothing. They said it had to be jump started so they could get to the store, the lady was like "my son jumped us earlier and he had a big truck, I think you need a bigger truck"

Away I drove...

Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i think that's oil.

ugly is an understatement. your cooling system needs some TLC in a bad way.

It looks kind of like oil to me as well. But no water in oil. About 1500 miles since last oil change. It was uglier than that when I did kegger mod, changed water pump, and replaced radiator. I flushed it then, but don't remember if I ran it with just water after draining flush or not...or just refilled and added coolant. So plan is flush now (letting it cool down to drain right now) refill with water and drive about 30 minutes or so, and cool down and drain, and flush again, repeat until it looks clean. I suspect some of the flush having been left in there could be the issue. Hope that's all. Will know if it is oil next week when tester arrives.....

Also buffed out the grill this afternoon! Shines like a new quarter! (a black quarter, but shines!)

Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i'd flush the block too.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2824484-post21.html

if you have no water in your oil (currently), it leads me to believe that either prev owner put oil in the radiator...
or, the prev owner blew a head gasket and never flushed the cooling system properly. it might take several degreaser type flushes to remove all the oil. there might also be a lot of heavy residue in the block.

i wonder what would be a degreaser additive. maybe some TSP. i wouldn't run it with TSP, it might foam up or explode or something. just fill it up and let it soak, drain, repeat a few times.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

I think I would be more tempted to REPLACE that radiator.......

Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 PM
gdstock
Legend

Radiator has only been in couple of months, and no more than about 1500 miles on it. Crap has to be in block and in lines. Flushing it at least two times with Prestone flush.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?