2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ I think the craiglsit ad I posted made him fart.

so after 2 years of not even uncovering my boat I decided to use this 3 day weekend to clean it up and do some work to it. its a '64 glastron futura. its been in my family since it was new. my dad bought it from my great grandpa and we used it for many years. then the transmission went out and my dad let it sit for a couple of years. after finally fixing the transmission we loaded up and headed to the river only to have the trailer tonque break off. then it sat until 3 years ago when I finally towed it out to my house.

list of things I need to do to it are:
1. install fuel tanks with new fuel lines, which I already have
2. replace ignition switch, which I already have
3. replace most of the engine wiring, which is what I dread the most cause ill have to do it all from scratch.
4. replace or repair trailer, i think its beyond repair. I had to use tie straps to hold the tonque to the trailer frame cause it has all but rusted away.
5. replace the seats.

my goal for this weekend is a little ambitious. I would like to get it all cleaned up and start it up, but ill be happy to get it cleaned and here it crank. it hasn't been started in about 10 years, but as a yearly maintance I have been pulling the plugs and putting a little marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and turning it by hand with the secondary pull cord. I am hoping that this has kept the cylinders and rings in good shape.

Name:  IMAG0216_zpsb0c78674.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  189.7 KB

Old 08-31-2013, 04:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Nice old boat and motor.

Fwiw; If you have no spark the points and condenser are under the flywheel. Please check that cable steering over well, the little plastic wheels like to fall apart at the worst of times. If you plan on keeping the boat look at upgrading the steering to a rack and pinion style sooo much safer. The only time I touch that old system is to rip it out and replace it, I won't drive a boat with it. If you need a wiring Dia send me the ser# and model # in a pm and I will see if I have the fsm for that motor.

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-31-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Thanks merc, i really like the older boats myself, more style. that motor is the original johnson seahorse 60 and last time it ran it ran like a champ, im hoping it still does.

yeah the cables are in poor condition and i already planned on replacing with a rack and pinion, just cant afford it right now. It wont be touching the water though until its replaced. Thats one thing i forgot to put on my list above. A wiring diagram would be really helpful. after closer inspection though it looks like there is only one bundle of wires, about 5, that need to be replaced. the rest were replaced already when my dad installed a new coil pack and starter.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Merc this is all i could find for a model number

Name:  IMAG0225_zps5dd3a04c.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  84.0 KB

and this is what im dealing with

Name:  IMAG0221_zpsc3091892.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0220_zps743eccaf.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  86.4 KB

I am thinking of just getting rid of that connector and replacing it with straight wire, shouldnt be too hard to do.

the rest of the motor and engine electrical are in good shape it appears

Name:  IMAG0222_zps0bbd940a.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  98.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0223_zpsec1ace5f.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  128.8 KB

and alas a casualty of all of this

Name:  IMAG0219_zpsa123d37f.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  92.4 KB

almost brand new tire and i got a screw in the sidewall....ugh. that 10 ply was like $170 i guess ill be driving the GMC for a couple of weeks.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 PM
merc225hp
Champion

^^^ Ok thats older than I thought old belt driven magneto ign system if I remember right. That makes things ezer to work on if needed. I will see what I have for books I know I go back to 69 for sure. Just cut it out and solder/shrink wrap all the joints, some of the wire's will be stainless core.

Edit: Measure what you need for a new system, we get old boats in the dump and maybe I can find one with a good steering system for you.

Edit 2: That is the boat hull ser and model number. Look on the motor itself, under the hood or on the part the attacks to the boat hull.

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-31-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
almost brand new tire and i got a screw in the sidewall....ugh. that 10 ply was like $170 i guess ill be driving the GMC for a couple of weeks.
did you buy the tire brand new? if so it might still be under warrenty. they might consider something like that as a road hazzard and you might have to spend a few $ depending on how much tread is left. i know i had a tire replace for $5(which is tire tax here)after i accidently put a hole in the sidewall running something over.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

so i got the harness removed and its going to be alot easier than i thought to make a new one, maybe 30 mins worth of work. the only issue i have is there is one wire that was broken off and i cant find the other end. There is like a pick up sensor mounted on the side of the distributor that has two terminals coming off of it but only one wire on it, so im assuming that the broken wire is supposed to go to the other terminal on that pick up.

i didnt see a model or serial number on the motor but i will look again later.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
did you buy the tire brand new? if so it might still be under warrenty. they might consider something like that as a road hazzard and you might have to spend a few $ depending on how much tread is left. i know i had a tire replace for $5(which is tire tax here)after i accidently put a hole in the sidewall running something over.

I did buy them brand new but it was over a year ago, just havent put much mileage on them, maybe 2k. Im going to call the tire place tuesday morning and find out but im doubtfull. Its a fairly small hole and im half tempted to try some fix a flat.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:46 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Tilt the motor down, there might be a metal plate with this info on it that can't be seen with it tilted up. Right under where the steering hooks to the motor.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread