2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How many miles can you put on a Dodge Ram?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:50 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the tranny issues are overstated. I've seen just as many 700R4 GM trans go out as mopar trans and ford C6's & ect. If you change gears before completely stopping or drive like a granny when towing not anticipating hills or grades then YES you will overheat & blow any transmission out!. Also helps if people put the correct ATF-4 in! instead of Dexron like many people sub because ATF4 is so expensive and not as easy to get as dexron because its usually sold out at Wal Mart and gas stations just don't carry it. These engines are tough, fix the plenum gasket with copper permatex and new felpro gasket and they will last an ultra long time!...oh and standard tune up & oil changes ;-)

The Magnum Engines love to be stepped on by the way ;-)

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 04-27-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 AM
zach01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a 2001 dodge ram with 188,172 miles i've beat the living hell out of the truck done mud bugs, truck pulls. tug a war, towed way to much weight, burn outs, jumped it at the dunes(that one didnt end well) and the motor is still super strong it doesnt burn oil and doesnt leak any. but i've replaced the timing chain and pleinum and all the other regular maintiance to ensure it to last...

i bought it with 88,xxx miles in 2008 and then replaced the tranny at 122k costed 2800, then i burnt the tranny up at 182k towing a exavator up to a landing when i use to log. the boss paid for that one but that was another 2800 and some changes

the rear end was making some noise at about 134k it needed new bearsing they said and i ended up just having them taking it all apart and replace it with all new and also install a locker costed about 1900.

but i am super hard on my truck and i use it as a truck... but i think i'll get 250k out of it no problem the biggest problem i have had is the front hub assmy wearing out but i do run 20x10 wheels with a big off set and 35x1250x20 mud tires so i dont think that helps to much

Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Existing thread here.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...our-truck.html

This thread is closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many miles can you put on a Dodge Ram?