2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

SO, who's been laid off and how long?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SO, who's been laid off and how long?

SO whos been laid off for how long and from what line of work? Still Working contrsuction part time, LAID OFF HERE AND THERE OF IT....

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

sheet metal worker. been laid off since thanksgiving eve. i go back to work Monday 2-14-11 THANK GOD. the wife is driving me crazy

Old 02-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Salex007
Captain

didnt work for a whole year, just went to school full time and took phlebotomy training and thats what I am now, no complaints except the people that squirm when I poke them with a needle and its great pay for the little amount of school, but still in school someday will be a dentist.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Been unemployed since 2005 or so..... but, having MS just might be a contributor to that.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i just got a 1 day a week job at a small freight company and apparently they were already wondering if i was willing to work more than just Sundays. with how hard loading and unloading trucks is i don't know if i would want to be working more than just Sundays considering i have to get up at 5am just to get there for 6:30am.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 AM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

Was at Walmart but they were downsizing staff. So I got the boot about 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 AM
DAKOTAJIM
Professional

Was laid off Sept. '08 where i worked for a landscaping and hardscape supply company. The main work was paver driveways, patios, and walkways on new homes. When the housing sales dropped out they lost 90% of their business so i got laid off after working there for 12yrs. Being in my late 50s i couldn't go back to lawn care which i did before the supply company mainly because they want younger workers. Tried to get into something else but nobody wants to hire you without previous exp. My advice to all you young guys is to try to get exp. in different types of work so your not limited in your choices if you lose your job. I have to say i'm a optimist and i know i will eventually find work just dont know when, hope its before retirement age. HaHa

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If congress passes the free trade agreement that's in the works for Korea then I'll be one of the 40,000+ (governments estimate so it's probably going to be higher) textile workers that will be jobless.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Laid off for a couple years here.... Was a machinist, we made components for CANDU 6 nuclear reactors. We had just finished a contract for a nuclear plant refurb here in NB, but that has been plagued to death with problems, waaaaaay over budget and deadlines, etc. So our company ended up gettin swept into the **** and AECL (Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd) shut us down, while we were halfway through a contract for another plant in Wolsong Korea. I got a text msg from a buddy on a friday afternoon (I worked nights so my weekend had just started) that they closed up.... ****ty deal for sure, it was a sweet *** job, good money, and fun, unique work. It's part of the reason I'm still home, it's been hard to find something decent that pays as well and that I might actually enjoy. I actually liked going to work when I was there, I was on nights voluntarily, and it was more like hang out with your buds all night than work.... And we still managed to crank out the parts flawlessly

My wife makes good money working at a hospital, so we decided that I would stay home for a while with the kids and whatnot, well that turned into a longer period than I expected and I'm goin crazy being home. I do quite a bit of maintenance and stuff on my dads trucks on the side, and various other jobs through him, so that's a help. I'm actually waiting to hear back on another machining/metalworking job now, hopefully that works out......

Last edited by Maxx_Magnum; 02-09-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
Laid off for a couple years here.... Was a machinist, we made components for CANDU 6 nuclear reactors. We had just finished a contract for a nuclear plant refurb here in NB, but that has been plagued to death with problems, waaaaaay over budget and deadlines, etc. So our company ended up gettin swept into the **** and AECL (Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd) shut us down, while we were halfway through a contract for another plant in Wolsong Korea. I got a text msg from a buddy on a friday afternoon (I worked nights so my weekend had just started) that they closed up.... ****ty deal for sure, it was a sweet *** job, good money, and fun, unique work. It's part of the reason I'm still home, it's been hard to find something decent that pays as well and that I might actually enjoy. I actually liked going to work when I was there, I was on nights voluntarily, and it was more like hang out with your buds all night than work.... And we still managed to crank out the parts flawlessly

My wife makes good money working at a hospital, so we decided that I would stay home for a while with the kids and whatnot, well that turned into a longer period than I expected and I'm goin crazy being home. I do quite a bit of maintenance and stuff on my dads trucks on the side, and various other jobs through him, so that's a help. I'm actually waiting to hear back on another machining/metalworking job now, hopefully that works out......

i work the nuclear industry here in the US. i work the refuelling outages for southern company, TVA and florida power and light. i work from sept till end of november and the from feb till may! off during the summer!! and for chrstmas and new years! some times i work throught he summer. most likely will this year. i need some money to fix up the truck! LOL

i love the nuclear business!! good money and radiation treatments as well!!

Quick Reply: SO, who's been laid off and how long?