2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

OT: 03 GMC Envoy

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default OT: 03 GMC Envoy

hey guys got a problem with my buddies Envoy....ive posted this on quite a few GMC forums, and no one has replied (posted a couple days ago)

so i copy and pasted what i said on other forums

Ok my buddy has a 2003 GMC Envoy XL SEL 4x4 with the 4.2L....I attempted the thermostat yesterday. I was having a real hard time getting the alternator out due to the bottom bolt and the stupid a/c line thats in the way.

I had disconnected the battery first thing FYI

Well i disconnected the PCM and it made things much easier. Got the thermostat swapped out, and made sure it went in the same way as the old one. Put everything back together the EXACT way it was.....nothing was left unconnected or anything.

Well we hooked up the battery as the last thing, we filled it with coolant, had him turn the heat on full blast, and on defrost then we started it.

Truck was running fine for about two minutes, then the RPMS started stumbling. Bouncing between about 1100-400 rpms.....Then we got a CEL, and the REDUCED ENGINE POWER light came on.

We shut it down, and i thought the pcm just neded to be reset again. I disconected the battery for about 10 minutes, and we started it again, with the heat off. Truck started up and was running fine. As soon as we put the heat on, the RPMS started jumping again, and the REP light came on again.

Shut it down again, and i called my buddy who owns his own garage. So we started it with the heat off, and it would drive fine. Drove it all the way to his garage, about 10 minutes away, and there were no problems, didnt overheat or anything, but the CEL was on.

My buddy hooked his scanner up to it, and was doing a bunch of stuff to it. He said he reset the PCM. He had a 7000 dollor scanner, wasnt a cheap one like autozone.

Now i need to add all the extras the truck has. Has one of those touch screen headunits, hooked to a camera for the rear, and it is hooked to an alarm.

Aftermy buddy ot done with the scanning, he said there is something wrong with the radio. Because when you take the key out and open the door, the head unit stays on. You have to turn it off manually now.

Also there is no door chime when you open the door, and the auto lights dont turn on, and when you turn the fog lights on, all the lights come on...i mean thats not really a big deal. The headunit i thing needs to be reprogrammed, but we couldnt do it, because the settings are password protected, and we didnt have the password. (it was my buddies dad's truck and he wasnt with us)

Now the heat. It is still jumping when you turn it on, regardless of what setting it is on, if the heat is on, RPMS bounce. BUT theres no CEL or REP light anymore.

Could this just be an air pocket in the system? I know its not properly bled yet, but would an air pocket cause this issue?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Air pocket wouldn't do that. More likely, is a poor connection at the alternator. What is the volt gauge doing when the heat is on?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

volt readings are the same as they were before we did it.

but the way the thing was built (very poorly might i add) when you pull the thermostat, all the coolant went all over the alternator....

maybe today, now that it would be dry, its ok? hes been driving it, and its fine, but he hasnt had the heat on.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Probably just driving it around, and letting it warm up good, will help dry it out as well. Let's hope so.

As for the other problems.... I don't know......

Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i think the other problems have to do with the radio....hes not worried about that, since it all still does work, just not the same way, basically you have to do it manually, no big deal.

its only the heat thing that hes worried about...but there was no avoiding getting coolant on the alt. IMO i HATE how new cars are all covered in plastic, and its a cluster****...id rather be able to see the motor. Thats why i love our dodges, most easiest vehicles ive ever worked on.

Last edited by 95RAM360; 04-19-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
i think the other problems have to do with the radio....hes not worried about that, since it all still does work, just not the same way, basically you have to do it manually, no big deal.

its only the heat thing that hes worried about...but there was no avoiding getting coolant on the alt. IMO i HATE how new cars are all covered in plastic, and its a cluster****...id rather be able to see the motor. Thats why i love our dodges, most easiest vehicles ive ever worked on.
Too bad the new ones you have to take the whole front end off just to replace bulbs for headlights. There's a bunch of plastic on those new hemi's ....

Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

why would they cover the motor with plastic? it doesnt make it look good....My engine looks awesome because i can actully SEE the engine....i hate this new plastic crap

Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think all that plastic is there to make the engine more cosmetically pleasing for idiots that don't know nothing about engines. just like some of the new vehicles are starting to come with some type of noise canceling technology. you need to be able to hear the noises your engine makes. me, i prefer old school easy to work on engines. there is almost nothing i can't see under the hood of my truck.

Quick Reply: OT: 03 GMC Envoy