2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

96 dodge ram 1500 no power to obdII connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
resxwni01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dodge ram 1500 no power to obdII connector

Hello, I am wanting to know if anyone can assist me with this truck I just purchased. The obdII is not getting any power and above it to the right is a plug of some sort it actually looks like the nuetral safety switch on a chevy truck, I mean the shape and wire look like it. I believe this is exactly why my obdII is getting no power, I did run some wires 3 to be exact to the obdII and it does work.

I had a cousin tell me this is the central timer module but when searching I can not find any information on this so I thought I would drop by and ask you kind people if you know what this is that is missing on my truck?

I really would appreciate any help with this and I wish you all a very good week and Thanks.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Clean all the contacts with electronic clearner.See if all the pins are up,not bent or chipped.Also check the plug-in area to make sure all ground wiring is attached.If access to a shop vac put it to the plugs and get the dirt and dust out.Try again..........As you stated it worked with a 3 wire so it has to be the contact area,just a thought....

Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 PM
resxwni01

No there is a plug to the right and above the obd II connector and I think it maybe the central timer module and the module is not there only the wire plug.
when I took 3 wires and run them to the connector that has nothing in it the obdII works but that is not how to properly do this.

I want to make sure what module or item is supposed to go in this plug and get one and plug it in, also this plug is screwed onto a metal plate coming from the dash.it has an 8 plug terminal but has 6 wires in it 4 to the front and 2 to the rear.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know what is in a 96, but CTM is on the console on a 99. And neutral saftey switch is on transmission.

Is the truck running?

What part of Texas?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Don't know what is in a 96, but CTM is on the console on a 99. And neutral saftey switch is on transmission.

Is the truck running?

What part of Texas?
And most importantly, what color is the truck?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM
resxwni01

Thanks for all the replies but I got it figured out yesterday evening, I located a schematic that is like my wiring and it is the central timer module as when it is unplugged it looses bus to the obdII.

Now I called dodge and they do not make this any longer and it was only put on a selected few of the 96 models.

I need to either locate someone who has one or rewire the connector so that the bus will get to the obdII.

Thanks Again

Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

96 shouldn't have a CTM at all.... not even optional. CTM started in 98...... You can grab the 96 service manual from the faq section here, and the diagram for the data link connector is on page 8W-30-13. So far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be ANY 12 volt feed to the connector... at least, not just power, for power's sake......

Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
96 shouldn't have a CTM at all.... not even optional. CTM started in 98...... You can grab the 96 service manual from the faq section here, and the diagram for the data link connector is on page 8W-30-13. So far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be ANY 12 volt feed to the connector... at least, not just power, for power's sake......
I believe I do have a CTM in my truck, at least that's what I was told, I also have the key-less entry that was never to be on a 96 as well and a power sunroof. This is not a area I play with at all so all I can do is go by what I have been told by Dodge.

Where would it be on a 96 and I will check it out.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
resxwni01

it only came on a few 96 model ram 1500's if you read the above post it is located above the obdII connector and is bolted to a metal bracket with 2 screws and yes a 96 did come factory with the ctm.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by resxwni01
it only came on a few 96 model ram 1500's if you read the above post it is located above the obdII connector and is bolted to a metal bracket with 2 screws and yes a 96 did come factory with the ctm.
Funny that it isn't referenced anywhere in the factory service manual.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 1500 no power to obdII connector