2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nereaga's Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you guys are reading my mind... Just was out looking at steering and thought about column. I grabbed a hold of the column shaft and there is play in it. I don't know how much play is tolerable. I also then watched the rock solid video and I have ALL the symptoms. When I grab the wheel to hop up and in, (im only 5'10'' lol dont laugh!) the wheel has some give in it. I also have about a 1'' of play in the steering from center. If I grab a hold and move the wheel north to south, there is play. I also grabbed the spring under the brake booster going through the firewall and I have about 1/4'' of play in it. I think this is PART of the problem.

I still am taking to my buddies shop to get it lifted to make sure all is well underneath. Ball joints are greaseables, so have been changed at one time. Control arm bushings look to be shot, as well as stabilizer bar. Thanks guys! Will update when I get home.

Last edited by Nereaga; 02-21-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is some movement in the column shaft which is normal. these trucks, due to the design of OEM bushing, seem to get worse over time. With 2 u-joints in a shaft as well as the slip in part, some movement is expected. The rock solid fix is not that expensive, but a bear to change out due to confined space to work in.

The 1" of play in wheel may well be tie rods, idler,a and/or pitman joints. Mine were al shot after 134,00 miles of neglect....

Once you get a comprehsnsive list of the issue you have, just make a list of the priority and then work through it. My problem is I keep "inserting" priorities....but this is basically a project for me and not a DD.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Also noticed that there are 265's on my wheels, brand new ones actually. I believe that stock they are 225s? but you can run 245s safely? The tires don't seem to be rubbing anywhere.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Nereaga
Captain

never mind, 245s are stock and I can run the 265s safely, just no bigger.

edit: could have just edited that last post...

Last edited by Nereaga; 02-21-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: idiot
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
dlyter09
Champion

You can get away with 285s also... atleast I can

Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Good news to report from the front end steering. We had the truck up on jack stands, and he liked all the steering. We checked: idler arm, pitman, tie rod end, ball joints, track arm, stabilizer bar, control arms. Everything was tight and no play. He said the bushings are ok on the stabilizer bar and control arms. Nothing to run out and replace right now, his opinion.

He agreed with your assessments in that it is most likely the column is worn out. He said very common with dodge and chevy trucks, even new ones right off the lot.

He told me to watch the wear on my tires, as they are new.

Things I need to address:

1. Rear brakes need grease as you can hear them while pressing firmly on the brake, also check condition of rear brakes.

2. The parking brake needs and adjustment too. Doesn't do squat right now.

He looked at the rear seal and said its not that bad yet to work about, said he thinks it COULD be just a sloppy cleanup from the last oil change. Told me to hit it with brake cleaner and clean area up and then monitor. He was all over the underside and didn't see anything he didn't like.

He did say that I have the front hub assembly and said I was lucky... He said the others are a bitch to get off the spindle and you have to have a special tool that snap on makes or something. I guess that is good

Guess I need to hit the haynes manual and get familiar with the rear brakes and parking brake...

Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 PM
gdstock
Legend

My parking brake was jacked up. It seems that some parts were missing.

And the part about rear brakes need grease? Don't think so!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Nereaga
Captain

not grease, i forget what he said lol

Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Nereaga
Captain

when I applied the brake really hard you heard them engage, but they were really loud

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
gdstock
Legend

Probably considerable rust in there and way out of adjustment. That could allow for some noise. They may be due for new linings, but I would pull it down and check. Mine were in pretty bad shape and I really did not know it. I just assumed the brakes were not as good as my Yota because truck is heavier. After repairing them, it made a world of difference.

I reaplaced wheel cylindewrs also. Inside was scored up and sticking.

Quick Reply: Nereaga's Truck Thread