2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

just ordered 08.5-12 steering for my truck :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On Dt's site it is more expensive than Thuren's... By $55+

Anyway, if I can't get the OEM HD setup for less than that, say, around $300, I will probably spend the extra cash for Thuren's setup when I do it.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
yeah, I've seen those, but didn't want to spend $500 on it.

and LOL @ the second pic on thurens site...thuren steering with a DT Pro Fab track bar standing out like a sore thumb!

I have that same track bar works great and its cheaper than thurens. better designed too I think since they use a relocation bracket and no bends in the bar.
If you look closely in the pic, you can see where the adjuster nut for that trac bar is contacting the front diff cover.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

^^^^ Ooooooh good eye, mate!

Track bar upgrade will be a decision that will require much pondering, methinks.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my 08.5 steering and bilstein 7100 installed today!

looks like I had no clearance issues with the tie rod ends with my 16" centerline wheels. they have enough offset that they are pretty far away from the tie rod ends.

comparison old vs new:

now I did have to reverse the direction of the stabilizer mount, and modify the mount a little bit to get my carli low-mount bilstein 7100 to work with it...

If you reverse the mount 180° and suck it in all the way towards the right wheel it will work. then you need to grind the curve off the edge towards the stabilizer, and cut about 1/2" off of the top u-bolt, and it will clear the stabilizer and everything else. also will steer lock to lock without making contact with any parts (though it does get within 1/2" of the diff at full left lock) and after grinding and cutting the bolt, it clears the stabilizer by 1/4"

able to go full steer both directions without reaching the end of the shock, but it does get within 1/4" of the end of the shock on the left side but hits steering lock before that happens.

btw I have no problem with a DT pro fab trackbar clearing my diff..it doesn't even get close to touching...so in that other pic, that guy F-ed up his front end or did or has longer control arms, cause with stock control arms it clears no problem..

Last edited by Jigabop; 06-25-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yo Jig,

What's your experience now that a few weeks has gone by. Also, any chance to shoot a few more pics? Like showing both TREs?

I really dislike my steering as any bit of gently touching a rock jacks the toe up. Grrrrr

Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Looks really nice!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
theviper90210
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this work on a 2000 ram 1500 4x4?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Yo Jig,

What's your experience now that a few weeks has gone by. Also, any chance to shoot a few more pics? Like showing both TREs?

I really dislike my steering as any bit of gently touching a rock jacks the toe up. Grrrrr
will have to get out a better camera than my cellphone to take full pics...cellphone just doesn't seem to want to capture it all as it keeps adjusting the lighting too dark...

as for driving...its definitely a lot tighter steering. 95% of my steering slop and wander is gone. now its all in the steering column.. my column still creeks and pops. need to probably replace the column and get the rock solid ram steering fix.

steering is very responsive and doesn't try to jump anywhere. even over bumps and what not...just stays goin straight..

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Looks really nice!
thanks
Originally Posted by theviper90210
Does this work on a 2000 ram 1500 4x4?
not sure on a 1500...you can certainly try to get one for a 2012 ram 1500 4x4 and see if it fits? I dont know if anyone has tried it before...

I know it for sure fits the 2500 and 3500 rams that are 2000 and up. only reason it didn't fit 99 and down was due to front axles are not as wide on the older trucks. 2000+ they made the front axle several inches wider. for 99 and under they can still use the 99HD T-steering which is just about the same thing, but it fits the axles that are shorter in length, and you have to buy parts individually. it doesn't come as an assembly like the 08.5-2012 steering does...

dodge is actually doing this retrofit now on 2003 and newer trucks that come in with steering issues... don't think they knew that late model 2nd gens could use it too... lol

Old 12-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to bump this thread. I just got my 8.5+ steering to go along with my dana 60s installed and this stuff is HEAVY DUTY. The weak little y-steering is so small. This new t-style steering is comparable in thickness to the trac bar.

I have yet to actually drive with it on, but initial impressions are great. Fit like a charm too. Direct bolt on, minus alignment of course.

Not sure what Im gonna do about steering stabilizer though.. stock one doesnt work with this new setup. Probably just run without one for a while

Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Activate
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MMmmhh intresting...

Also want to know if it fits a 98 4x4

I already know that the 2000- and up have a wider frontaxle so I have to cut of 0,5" from the TRE on the pitmanarm and the left wheel.

Also have to change the pitman arm for a 200 one?

But what about the tapperd size??

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.

Quick Reply: just ordered 08.5-12 steering for my truck :)