2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

just ordered 08.5-12 steering for my truck :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

because there's 5500 pounds over that front axle that's why haha.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What the heck? How in hades to you break one of those????? And this is supposedly an alignment issue? How can it NOT be installed correctly??? I am seriously missing something here.
Apparently mopar is too. Your trucks whole weight doesn't rest on your steering setup. Inferior tie rod ends I guess. Bad geometry. The tres are at an angle. Which they are suppose to be flat. But so was the old y-style. And those tre never sheared right off.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What the heck? How in hades to you break one of those????? And this is supposedly an alignment issue? How can it NOT be installed correctly??? I am seriously missing something here.
I agree. Something's fishy here. That truck doesn't look lifted or have big tires on it, so where is all the stress coming from to shear the tre like that?

This was an upgrade planned for mine this year along with a redhead box. I'll have to rethink that and see where this ends up.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Name:  94B9E264-CE24-44B1-B13A-55F39E83CA33_zpsu9ctdjx7.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  30.5 KB

If you look at the picture you can see where the housing the ball sits in is ground/worn on the one side. If the ends are not installed perfectly flat the stud will bind up on the housing. The power steering basically turns into a hydraulic press and that point.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How can it be installed wrong? It's 2 machined surfaces designed to be press fit together. Are the tolerances somehow out of spec on either the knuckle or the tre shaft? Wish I took more engine shop classes in high school.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Hmmmm.... wonder if the steering is reaching its bind point, before it hits its stops. That would put a lot of force on the steering components. It looks like the 'wear' mark is on the front side of the TRE? If so, I suspect the bar is twisting when hitting the end of its travel, and putting side loads on the stud that it is NOT designed for.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Hmmmm.... wonder if the steering is reaching its bind point, before it hits its stops. That would put a lot of force on the steering components. It looks like the 'wear' mark is on the front side of the TRE? If so, I suspect the bar is twisting when hitting the end of its travel, and putting side loads on the stud that it is NOT designed for.
Exactly. Tie rod ends are only designed for lateral movement. That's why the stock track bars suck. Tre at the frame? Terrible.

It Is obviously binding.

Quick Reply: just ordered 08.5-12 steering for my truck :)