2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

just ordered 08.5-12 steering for my truck :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just ordered 08.5-12 steering for my truck :)

done a lot of reading on it, and the steering assembly for 08.5+ trucks seems to be the best bang for the buck steering upgrade for our trucks. helps tighten up front steering and improve front wheel alignment, and helps prevent/eliminate death wobble.

you can get it at your stealership, or for cheaper via http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ mopar part number: 52122362AF (original number) or 52122362AH (newer number)

I have a commercial account at the stealership so I paid $295 for the assembly. comes with new drag link, new tie rod, new adjusters and comes assembled.

Its basically a direct bolt in upgrade for our trucks, but it does require either aftermarket, or 09+ steering stabilizer. I went with a Carli low mount Bilstein 7100 stabilizer.

now for stock or 16" wheels the tie rod stud that attaches to the steering knuckle on the right side is very very close clearance to the wheel. it will clear by like 1/8" I suggest grinding the top of the stud down for additional clearance. other than that its all direct bolt in OEM parts from newer improved steering trucks!

Once mine comes in I'll let you know how it goes, but if you want to do some reading on it, this thread has 33 pages on it from 2nd gen guys. there's pics in there too. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ver-spent.html

also important note: this is for 4x4 trucks only. sorry 2wd trucks, but it won't fit your trucks...

should fit all 2500 and 3500 trucks, possibly 1500's too?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also do the same thing with the 98.5-99 HD 1 ton steering. Replaces the factory Y setup and is a direct bolt in...and clears 16 inch rims easily. Also, it does not have to have the knuckles reamed on 2nd gen trucks.

I understand that the system the OP lists is a bit bigger...uses a 1.5 OD RH tie rod vs a 1.25 OD TRE on the earlier system. The 08.5 system comes pre assembled from Chrysler and the earlier system is sourced through the aftermarket. I find it ironic that the Chrysler system doesn't have grease zerks (?)

I've been running the earlier 98.5 steering for about 3 years...one of my best mods. Really tightens up the steering response and doesn't require constantly *&^%$*ing with the toe in.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 05-28-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Jigabop
Champion

exactly what this new dodge steering does

btw I like non grease-able as long as ford doesn't make them. grease-able = gotta grease every couple months or they start to wear out. non grease-able = maintenance free and sealed. far less likely to get mud and dirt inside the joints.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop

btw I like non grease-able as long as ford doesn't make them. grease-able = gotta grease every couple months or they start to wear out. non grease-able = maintenance free and sealed. far less likely to get mud and dirt inside the joints.
try telling that to the third gen people that have there factory non grease able joints fail.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greasable joints will last longer - if properly maintained. It does not allow for failure to grease, forcing mud into joints and neglecting. If properly greased (and not over greased as most people tend to do) dirt and water cannot enter the joint. If you grease until grease comes out, you are over greasing the joint.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jigabop

Hmmmm...how do I explain this without ruffling feathers or offending anyone?

Both HD designs use a "T" setup rather than the OEM "Y" style. In the y style your toe in changes as the suspension cycles. This is because your RH tre and drag link are one and the same.* It also means setting your toe in each time you change your suspension heigth.

In the t setup, both outer t rods are connected. The drag link assembly is separate and attaches to the outer tie rods.*

In the t setup, once the toe is set, it remains the same as the suspension cycles. It reduces bump steer on rough terrain, and increases steering feel and input. I sometimes wonder if gearbox adjustments and funky steering shaft crossmember mods would be needed if the tie rods themselves are changed, since I have needed niether.

Rams OEM equipped with the t setup do not have provisions for a steering stabilizer and with highway tires still wouldn't. I run a stabilizer because mud tires tend to wander more... but have also run without one. The difference, even on our poor *** roads, is negledgable!

Here's a poor azz pic of the 98.5 setup...

* I realise this may be a bit simplistic The drag link assembly has two tres and an adjustment sleeve. On a t steering setup all you adjust is the steering wheel with that. Toe is adjusted at the LH TRE.

I prefer greasable joints but have to admit the OEM non greasbles lasted a fair amount of time.

Lastly, my appologies to the OP. I hope you'll post pics of your own install shortly.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 05-28-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

From what I am reading, all that needs to be done to make this work on my '95 is have the tapers reamed out? Other than that is it still a direct bolt in for us early 2nd gens? This upgrade has me VERY interested... Not that I can afford it for a while...

Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 2x1972
From what I am reading, all that needs to be done to make this work on my '95 is have the tapers reamed out? Other than that is it still a direct bolt in for us early 2nd gens? This upgrade has me VERY interested... Not that I can afford it for a while...
I'm not sure about the '08.5 system....but the earlier (98.5) is a direct bolt in. I would say the later steering would have to be reamed. You'll want to buy the correct taper though, so hopefully the OP will give us that information.

Here's a slightly better shot with the stabilizer installed. It's almost a crossover system.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 05-29-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
I'm not sure about the '08.5 system....but the earlier (98.5) is a direct bolt in. I would say the later steering would have to reamed. You'll wnt to buy the correct taper though, so hopefully the OP will give us that information.

Here's a slightly better shot with the stabilizer installed. It's almost a crossover system.

That looks pretty good as well! Any info on pricing? The new stuff (what Jigabop posted about) is so affordable...

Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Jigabop
Champion

the 08.5+ stuff is supposedly direct bolt in as well with the only modification needed being the grinding of the stud on the tie rod end to clear 16" wheels since later model trucks come with 17" or larger wheels.. they do clear 16's but barely...my parts should be in tomorrow, but wont be till the weekend before i get to it.

I'll let ya'll know how it went, but according to the thread on cummins forum people that actually did the mod said it was all direct bolt in.

Quick Reply: just ordered 08.5-12 steering for my truck :)