2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

OBD1 to OBD2 Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OBD1 to OBD2 Swap??

Got a wild haired idea this morning, sitting here at work, with nothing to do but dream about my truck, and what I want to do with it...

Is there any reason I can't grab wiring, PCM, and an intake (okay and a non EGR passenger exhaust manifold) from a 96-97 and convert to OBD2? I have plans for the engine in the future, and would like to be able to tune past OBD1 capabilities. Even more interesting to me are the diagnostics capabilities of OBD2, with android "Torque" and everything... I have looked at piggyback and standalone options, but I don't think that the benefits are worth it to me for the extra $$$. I think that I should be able to get the parts and wiring for under $100. And before people start talking about transmission swaps, keep in mind I have a stick, so it shouldn't apply.

I found these threads, but they weren't very helpful, but the one with the piggyback computer got me thinking about it, until I decided it was too expensive for my plans.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...onversion.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-involved.html

Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Hey y'all...WATCH THIS!"

Seems more trouble than it's worth.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I actually think it would be fairly simple. Since I need to replace the dash anyway, I would be in there, and the engine bay stuff should all be easily accessible.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 06-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

PCM, under hood harness, and parts of the dash harness. (Diagnostic connector mostly.) The 98 and up versions with the CTM would be much more complicated, but, still doable.

Could probably use your current intake, just block off the EGR port in the manifolds.

Would make programming FAR easier, and this is actually a fairly popular "upgrade" for the third-gen F-body crowd. (camaro's and firebirds.)

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I would just go for the 96-97 stuff, to keep it cheap and easy. I thought there were differences with the intakes? Coolant sensors or something... anyway I think I will do this when I do my dash. Seems like a pretty good investment for the cost.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I would just go for the 96-97 stuff, to keep it cheap and easy. I thought there were differences with the intakes? Coolant sensors or something... anyway I think I will do this when I do my dash. Seems like a pretty good investment for the cost.
If you follow through with it then please document it with plenty of pictures and a thorough write-up. Stuff like that is interesting to read, plus it may help someone else down the road.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

IF is the key word. I don't see any reason not to, but who knows.

Would I be able to use the wiring harness from an auto? I know I will definitely need a computer from a manual transmission, and they are hard to find...

Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

I think..... so long as the PCM is programmed for a manual, the extra connectors and such shouldn't matter. If I recall, the pcm basically ignores EVERYTHING on a manual trans, except the VSS in any event.

Intake changed in 98, went from two coolant sensors (one for the gauge, one for the PCM) to one, that did it all. (pcm just sent info to CTM, which clued in the cluster what to display) My 96 had EGR block-off plate from the factory, and no provision for EGR on the exhaust manifold at all. The 97 manifold I grabbed had no provision for EGR at all, but, still had the center divider in the plenum. (with also disappeared in 98, I think)

98 dash is laid out, and shaped differently as well. Going to a 96 or 97 OBDII system would definitely be the easiest route. Also, doesn't matter what weight rating truck you get your parts from, nor would it matter which manual trans it had... harnesses are all pretty much the same. I think the PCM's are the same between manual and auto as well, just programming is different.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screw all that stock garbage. Piggyback/standalone would be easier, better and not much more $$$.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Mmkay. So I should be able to use an auto harness.

And yes, programming should be the only difference in the computers. But I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ on having the computer reprogrammed...

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Screw all that stock garbage. Piggyback/standalone would be easier, better and not much more $$$.
You think it could be done for mot much more than around $100?

Quick Reply: OBD1 to OBD2 Swap??