2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

can anyone confirm valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone confirm valve covers?

At the junkyard last weekend, I took the fuel rails, off a late 90's grand cherokee with a 5.2L in it. Brought home, cleaned, sanded, and painted them for my kegger mod. Today, went back and took the valve covers off of the same jeep, to paint red, to match my tstat housing (though not that visible when all assembled on the truck), the fuel rails, red, and I want to paint these valve covers red. What I noticed, is on the front of the drivers side valve cover (side closest to the radiator), there's a sticker, that says 53021 in small numbers, then 100 in bigger font. I had noticed that sticker on my current valve covers, so I pop the hood, to check em, and my current sticker says 53021 in small numbers like the new valve covers, but the big number is 147AD.

From what I can tell they look to be exactly the same, but I've never had the current valve covers off of my truck, so I guess I'm not positive. My tape measure went missing over the last 2 days, (damn roommates), so I couldn't measure the height/ length of them, for more confirmation of them being the same. Do any of you know what the bigger and smaller numbers on the valve covers mean?? The smaller numbers are the same, but it's the bigger numbers that have me wondering. I've already cleaned the new valve covers, but I dont want to waste a $7.00 can of red ceramic paint or 2, on the valve cover if it's not going to work. As far as I can tell, they look exactly the same on the outside, but confirmation would make me feel much better. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I peeled the sticker off of mine the other day when I painted them. Looked in trash bucket, but I already tossed the trash.

If they bolt up I would think they are the same.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I painted mine red too! Used the Rustoleum Red Engine Enamel

Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 PM
gdstock
Legend

Go BLUE!

Name:  HSRockersinstalledanddone.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  217.5 KB

Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The blue is pretty

Old 06-10-2012, 01:52 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Those blue covers do look nice, but I gotta go with red, being a die-hard nebraska cornhuskers fan. I've even been debating on masking the huskers cursive logo on the valve covers, before painting, so the letters will show up still black, when the maskings removed. Here's my modded kegger/ painted parts, so far. Probably gonna wait til I can get ahold of some of the ford 4-hole injectors, and possibly 1.7 roller rockers before I do it all, but think I'm gonna stick with red.

I mean, I wouldn't think the covers would have changed from a late 90's/ possible 00-01 jeep grand cherokee with the 5.2L, to the '01 5.2L that's in my truck, so I think they'll work. And the paint I used so far on the tstat housing and fuel rails was "Duplicolor engine enamel w/ ceramic" claiming to be tested to 500 degrees. Oughta hold up. I've got a can and a half still, so might as well use it.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 AM
gdstock
Legend

That does look GOOD!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VCs for the 5.2 and 5.9 V8 Magnum engines are all the same with the exception of the PCV valve that was moved from the passenger side to the drivers side in '00 which are also interchangeable by simply changing the rubber grommets from side to side.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

ty. the valve covers do look the same on the outside. and yeah on the grand cherokee, the pcv was on the passenger side. but it's on the driver side of my truck.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

I think the holes are the same size, just a matter of putting the correct grommet in the correct side. The grommets might even be the same.....

Quick Reply: can anyone confirm valve covers?