2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cruise Control on 1995 2500 V10

Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM
IGot2P
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control on 1995 2500 V10

Years ago I had a very small fire under the hood and the cruise control has not worked since then. It is not really a big deal because I rarely drive this vehicle. Although it still runs good, the last few years it has been driven less than 100 miles per year. Anyway, what controls the cruise control, a wire, hose, etc.? After the small fire everything else still worked but I am sure that the fire was the cause of the cruise failure and now I would finally like to fix it.

Any info or suggestions on what and where to look for to correct this cruise failure would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is this vacuum pump thing underneath the battery tray (can't remember what it's called). Anyway, that's what works your CC. Likely there was some electrical problem that took it out with fire.
Look for busted up wiring before you go about replacing it.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie

The module pulls on the throttle with a cable, but it needs manifold vacuum to operate. Very possible the hose melted and it no longer gets the vacuum it needs. It also has a wire harness that connects to it, otherwise I think the PCM is in charge of telling it what to do. So I'd say it's got to be an issue with the wire harness into the CC or the vacuum hose that goes to it. I can grab a picture of anything you need, I've got the same year and engine. What caused the fire if I may ask?

Edit: Looks like Dude beat me too it, haha.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
IGot2P
Amateur
Unhappy

Originally Posted by TitanOneSeven
What caused the fire if I may ask?

Edit: Looks like Dude beat me too it, haha.

The oil pressure had always been somewhat low so a couple of years after I purchased the vehicle new I decided to check into it. A friend of mine actually designed the heads for the V10 engine so I obviously went to him first. If I remember correctly he said that that engine was built to have high oil volume with rather low pressure. I had already changed sending units so he gave me an oil pressure gauge and the necessary attachments to hook it directly to the engine. Well, somewhere along the line some oil got on the exhaust manifold and caused a fire which I quickly put out but that was the end of the CC. I suspect that it might be the hose....any idea where it is on the engine?

Don

Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Start at the cruise servo (the box under the battery) and follow the vacuum line. See where it goes. Not sure where it actually hooks up on the 8.0Liter....

Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie

Originally Posted by IGot2P
The oil pressure had always been somewhat low so a couple of years after I purchased the vehicle new I decided to check into it. A friend of mine actually designed the heads for the V10 engine so I obviously went to him first. If I remember correctly he said that that engine was built to have high oil volume with rather low pressure. I had already changed sending units so he gave me an oil pressure gauge and the necessary attachments to hook it directly to the engine. Well, somewhere along the line some oil got on the exhaust manifold and caused a fire which I quickly put out but that was the end of the CC. I suspect that it might be the hose....any idea where it is on the engine?

Don
That sucks. At least the whole thing did not burn up. I'll take a look at mine in a hour or so and report back on where the lines hook up.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 PM
IGot2P
Amateur

Originally Posted by TitanOneSeven
That sucks. At least the whole thing did not burn up. I'll take a look at mine in a hour or so and report back on where the lines hook up.
I just took a look and the hose appears to go from the CC module under the battery case up and across in front of the intake manifold and then under the manifold on the passenger side. Right before it goes under the manifold there is a connector where I can disconnect the hose. Now I just need to find out if there is actually a vacuum in the hose or if it is losing vacuum somewhere under the manifold prior to the connection. And before someone asks, the 2 Amp. fuse in for the CC 10 is good.

Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control on 1995 2500 V10