2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2500 passenger floor pan leak through speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 07:42 PM
HillStreetChickens
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2500 passenger floor pan leak through speakers

New one on me. Currently rehabbing a 2001 2500 and redoing the speakers. Climb into the truck after a mold rain shower to find the pass floor pan basically a pool of water. Speaker is soaking.

I removed the speaker and had the wife shoot a hose (misting) at the roof of the truck. Through the hole in the door housing the speaker I locate a stream of water pouring into the door cavity, onto the plastic vapor barrier and into the cab.

Is this an exterior passenger side window seal issue? Absolutely nuts.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Do you have the weatherstripping that runs on top of the door(roof) down the a pillar?

Old 10-01-2023, 01:39 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

There should be drain holes in the bottom of the door. Check to see that they aren't plugged with debris. I believe the water drains out around the rocker panel..

Old 10-20-2023, 06:37 AM
HillStreetChickens
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For anyone in the future with a similar issue;
-Rain was entering the door cavity through the belt wealtherstripping along the edge of the window.
-Rain was hitting the top of the new speakers and rolling along the ack of the cone speaker towards the tweeter. Then off the tweeter into the passenger side floor pan.
-The difference between the stock speakers and the aftermarkets is that the stock infinity speaker was provided with a speaker mounted amp and a plastic cover that slipped over the amp to protect it, as well as deflect water until it cascaded along the back of the cover and to the bottom of the door.
-The solution I chose to use is to take the factory speaker mounted amp plastic cover, cut the alignment tabs off it so it fits the new speaker and place the cover over the back of the new speaker. Then I took some 3m protective clear plastic adhesive film (think clearbra) and attached a 10" x 6" strip of it to create almost a skirt from the underside of the plastic cover. So now if water does enter the door, it hits the plastic cover, rolls down and then hits the 3m clearbra and cascades down into the door.

FYI.

The following users liked this post:
james192030 (12-10-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 10:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

This is why i always install XTC speaker baffles in door speakers. They keep the speakers dry and rain from coming in.

The following users liked this post:
Spillage (10-21-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 05:05 PM
james192030
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HillStreetChickens
New one on me. Currently rehabbing a 2001 2500 and redoing the speakers. Climb into the truck after a mold rain shower to find the pass floor pan basically a pool of water. Speaker is soaking.

I removed the speaker and had the wife shoot a hose (misting) at the roof of the truck. Through the hole in the door housing the speaker I locate a stream of water pouring into the door cavity, onto the plastic vapor barrier and into the cab.

Is this an exterior passenger side window seal issue? Absolutely nuts.

im having this problem now and I was wondering if you had tried to change the window seal? I’m not currently 100% sure it’s the seal but the felt track? And I wish I could find some sort of gasket for the outer door handles if anyone knows of anything

edit: 2001 ram 2500 btw

Last edited by james192030; 12-10-2023 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 2500 passenger floor pan leak through speakers