2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Parked truck, now no power steering or brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Dvoeltz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parked truck, now no power steering or brakes??

Any ideas? I took my 2000 2500 diesel out of hibernation from the winter and drove down town for a quick drive and back. Got home ant parked it back in the garage after about a 6 mile ride.

Came out a couple days later and it appeared that a pint to a quart worth of oil was on the floor. I couldn't tell where it was coming from but it was running down the arms? that control the steering.

I checked the power steering fluid and it is full but appears dirty. The oil appears to be slightly overfull from where it was before. I then started the truck, everything sounds normal, but now there is no power steering nor power brakes.

Any ideas what is going on here? It has me perplexed as it was running fine when I parked it and now this happened.

Thanks in advance!

Dave in Pierre, SD

Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Power steering could be coincidence, pump may have gone out.

For the brakes, check the vacuum hose from the booster to the intake manifold. A mouse could have chewed it.

Check your engine oil level, make sure it's full due to oil on floor.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Doesn't the diesel have a vacuum pump? Have a look at the belt....... make sure it is still there.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Dvoeltz
Amateur

Originally Posted by kejobe
Power steering could be coincidence, pump may have gone out.

For the brakes, check the vacuum hose from the booster to the intake manifold. A mouse could have chewed it.

Check your engine oil level, make sure it's full due to oil on floor.
Oil is full, in fact, a little bit fuller than it was when I checked it before starting it up.

No sign of any mouse activity or chewed wires either. The belt is in place and fine.

Preplexed Dave in Pierre, SD

Old 05-12-2013, 03:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvoeltz
Oil is full, in fact, a little bit fuller than it was when I checked it before starting it up.

No sign of any mouse activity or chewed wires either. The belt is in place and fine.

Preplexed Dave in Pierre, SD
Post your question in the diesel section, some one there might have run into this problem with an oil burner.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Turbo diesels dont create intake vacuum, they build a positive pressure...so no vacuum lines to the intake. Power brakes and steering run off hydroboost. I would assume the "oil" leak is power steering fluid, when you checked it was it full?

Debris in the power steering fluid is no good for the hydroboost especially considering there's no filter in the system. You should change it often, dont know the mileage spec off hand. The hydroboost has a weep hole under it and may be the cause of the leak. If so you gotta replace it.

Found this on cumminsforum:
Another thing you can try is to take the cap off the power steering pump with the engine running and shine a light in there and see if the fuid is moving around, if its not then you need to pull the pump off the vacuum pump and replace the drive dogs/collar. Here's some helpful info on the repair halfway down the page: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/te...intenance.html

Old 05-12-2013, 03:51 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Post your question in the diesel section, some one there might have run into this problem with an oil burner.
Or put diesel in the thread title, might attract guys like Jigabop and WombatRanger....

Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Missed it was diesel. So, others will know more. Or as stated, try the diesel section.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Dvoeltz
Amateur

I went out and tried the truck again this afternoon and the power steering and the brakes worked fine. I read this link and I'll bet this is the problem. Thanks for the link.

Dave in Pierre, SD

Quick Reply: Parked truck, now no power steering or brakes??