2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Puting a CB on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 AM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puting a CB on my truck

So ive been interested by the possibility of installing a cb radio and antenna in my truck! I would like to keep the radio itself mobile, so that i can move that from car to car(depending if i use someone else's car on a road trip) but i am unsure about the antenna. I had thought about two different possibilities for the antenna, either installing one solid on the roof, or maybe getting a magnetic base and using that? Any advice would be nice!

What antenna did you use?
What way of mounting / what mount?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go on amazon and get the dodge/Dakota mounting kit. Comes with coaxle too. Then get a firestik II because a lot of people recommend them and that's what I got. I only got the 3" one though.

For the cb radio, I got a Unidon off amazon too and it's a mini cb. It's freakin awesome. I still haven't tuned my cb with a swr meter because I don't have one so I just have a pa speaker hooked in it and use it for now.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Jigabop
Champion

not saying to buy from this vendor, cause I just googled and picked the first thing that showed up that looked like what I have...

but this should do for the antenna mount: http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-mk...kit-p-315.html

you remove a fender bolt under the hood, put it down around the bolt hole and replace the bolt. bolt holds it on...no holes drilled. It is bent in a way to clear the hood and fender without contact.

had one on my truck for 5 years.

I have a 5' firestik 1 on the truck. 5' gets the top loaded mass of the antenna about a foot above the cab for the best signal. It does get in the way of low clearance parking garages though. so I remove the antenna when I need to park in a garage that barely clears the cab.

here is the radio mount...

again no holes put in the dash at all...I made a custom mounting bracket out of angle iron and used machine screws to mount the bracket to existing pre-tapped holes in the dash that originally held the cuddy hole I removed in place...

old pic from before I put the in-dash nav in the truck, but it will do.
Name:  DSC00007.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  63.2 KB

Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djbucky3
So ive been interested by the possibility of installing a cb radio and antenna in my truck! I would like to keep the radio itself mobile, so that i can move that from car to car(depending if i use someone else's car on a road trip) but i am unsure about the antenna. I had thought about two different possibilities for the antenna, either installing one solid on the roof, or maybe getting a magnetic base and using that? Any advice would be nice!

What antenna did you use?
What way of mounting / what mount?
For being able to move the CB around, there aren't that many options. The 2 most fitting what you are asking is one by Midland and 2 others by Cobra.

The Midland can be plugged into an installed antenna on the rig and it can be disconnected to be completely portable (battery and antenna).

Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio: Electronics Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio: Electronics

The Cobra gets plugged into an installed antenna. Not completely portable like the midland. Have antenna setup on other vehicle.

Amazon.com: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio: Car Electronics

Next Cobra is self contained completely. Own antenna and cig lighter power.

Amazon.com: Cobra HHROADTRIP 40-Channel CB Radio: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Cobra HHROADTRIP 40-Channel CB Radio: Car Electronics

The ones with the portable antenna is only as good as proximity and being held upright to receive/transmit. I have ppl that get these and forget that they need to hold up their antenna. lol So a mount for the unit in the rig would go a long way.

I have been using the Midland for the past 1.5 years and happy with it. I use a 102" whip.

Name:  IMG_20120205_135104.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20120205_134944.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20120205_134931.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  170.8 KB

Here are some other related threads for reference here on DF.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...all-image.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-cb-radio.html

Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
dman12323
Veteran

My truck never came with the temp and climate controls, so I just decided to mount it up top.Also Couldn't get past the fact of drilling a hole in any part of the interior. Its a really really tight fit for the radio so its not able to fall out while off roading or jumping and I can still utilize those pushing lights despite the ghetto rubberband CB holder (Cheap clip). It can easily be removed. Just take the wire from the pillar unplug it from the power outlet and just pull really hard on the cb radio until most of it comes out. Unplug the antenna and keep on going...

Just given a few idea's though. I like that midland radio though it looks alot easier to remove and use!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 AM
joshpalmer27

Here's my CB and I'm in the same boat as ChillyPhil. No antenna just yet so I hooked up a PA speaker and mounted it in the engine compartment.
Name:  1011083_608275505858794_2045927833_n.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  85.5 KB

Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

^Same exact cb as me, haha. They're nice little cbs for the price.

But yeah, I got one of those Pyle speakers off amazon for like 12 bucks and it's a decent speaker for the price. I just mounted it down near my left fog light.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Well at this point I have figured out a few things. First thank you to everyone for helping me with some great ideas! I had been looking at that midland radio, I really liked it to begin with, so glad to hear someone with a positive review! Then I think i will go with the firestik ii 4 footer. Now where I am having difficulties is how to mount the antenna, I would like to mount it on the roof with a magnetic mount, and just temp run the wire through the back window. Not the best method here, but I would like to start with that. Anyone have a recommendation for a magnetic mount that could hold a 4 foot firestik? Otherwise I might go with the same mount on the side of the bed as wh1t3nuckle did.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 PM
dman12323
Veteran

Guess you mean one of these: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/K-11.htm

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/MAG-MNT.htm

Depends do you do tons of highway driving,off roading? That magnetic mount would blow off so fast. Honestly I would go with a mount like wh1t3nuckle did save you the troubles of both scratching your paint and dragging your antenna off the side of your cab if it was to fall.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM
garam
Professional

Originally Posted by djbucky3
Well at this point I have figured out a few things. First thank you to everyone for helping me with some great ideas! I had been looking at that midland radio, I really liked it to begin with, so glad to hear someone with a positive review! Then I think i will go with the firestik ii 4 footer. Now where I am having difficulties is how to mount the antenna, I would like to mount it on the roof with a magnetic mount, and just temp run the wire through the back window. Not the best method here, but I would like to start with that. Anyone have a recommendation for a magnetic mount that could hold a 4 foot firestik? Otherwise I might go with the same mount on the side of the bed as wh1t3nuckle did.
Had a longer more in depth post originally but it got deleted.

Not a fan of the cheap CBs nor mag mounts but depending on your intended use they may suit you just fine. I tried one of those stake hole mounts, with a four footer, on a medium duty spring and had good results. I wouldn't get anything shorter than a four foot antenna! If you use the stake hole mount make sure your antenna is top loaded. They do make mag mounts capable of holding a 102 inch whip so that is an option for your antenna. The antennas with the adjustable screw tips are nice and make tuning easier.

The coax cable can be ran through a drain plug hole under the driver's side floor. Use some silicone or something to seal it back up after you run the coax through it. Also try to route the coax so it will not be parallel with any power wires.

I suggest running your power wires directly to and fusing them (both wires) next to the battery but still use the in line fuse that come with the radio. The fuses next to the battery can be a larger rated fuse and are for safety. The engine noise is bad in these trucks and running the power wires to the battery can cut down a little on it. It's also safer than using the axillary power receptacles. You can get quick disconects to make the radio more portable. Just get the same kind for the other vehicle.

Last edited by garam; 07-05-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Puting a CB on my truck