2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4x4 mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM
bulldodgemoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 mods

what i mean what mods have you done to your 4x4 to make it water/mud proof?
not meaning lift kits, bigger tires or bigger motor.
like i use to spray all my connections under the hood with silicone spray before going out for the day.
heard of someone using nylons wrapped around the air cleaner.
or using an open hole type grease zerk that will screw into the housing of the axle to breath. there is an air hole on top that allows to breath. but if your going to be in the water/mud vent the axle housing.

just wondering what shade tree mechanic mods have been done?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

be careful that the weak point is the vent in the top of the transmission, inside the bell housing. there's no cool aftermarket snorkel for it. so if you drive or get stuck in deep water, you'll kill your transmission because it can't tolerate any water at all, none, nada, zero.

the front axle seals are fair at keeping the oil in, but not real good for keeping the water out. so if you do much moderate depth water, check your diff oil after the first trip to make sure its not letting water in.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 AM
bulldodgemoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea those damn seals, i had a '78 ramcharger and i would hit the mud every weekend and every monday i would be changing the real seals. i am not ready to change the front seals yet. i guess the older i get the less work i want to do

Quick Reply: 4x4 mods