2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Superchips vs. Edge Vs. SCT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Caseyjordanmurry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips vs. Edge Vs. SCT

Which of the tuners (superchips, edge, sct) Is the best bang for my buck? I tried the hypertech and it didn't do crap. I Have a spectre CAI and 10 series flowmaster (in place of the stock muffler in stock location). the truck is a 2001 with the 5.9 magnum. Ive read that it has the deathflash tune from the factory? It would be nice to unlock some power and possibly fuel mileage if possible. later on I plan on retiring the truck from daily use and building it into a prerunner. so with any of they would I be able to manually tune the truck myself? If not ill just get a megasquirt computer when I get to that point.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

From most accounts here, SCT from HemiFever is the best for our trucks.
That's what I have, and have no complaints... I'm very pleased.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Everyone (98% at least) here will say SCT from Hemifever. Last I knew it was $265 for canned and $365 for custom tunes. You can get the canned now and pay the other $100 later to upgrade to custom when you do your build.

The SCT 9550 has been discontinued though. May have to wait for the new one, if you choose this route.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Caseyjordanmurry

The cheapest sct tuner I see on hemi fevers website is going for 495. What am I getting for the extra 150 over the superchips and edge? Hughes also sales a sct tuner. I think it's on sell for 400 right now.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current 9550 x2 is discontinued, that's why it's so expensive. But the x3 is coming out and it will offer more functionality (for newer trucks) and I think will be that price.

SCT offers the ability to remove ALL torque management and custom tuning. Superchips and Edge do not.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Caseyjordanmurry

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
The current 9550 x2 is discontinued, that's why it's so expensive. But the x3 is coming out and it will offer more functionality (for newer trucks) and I think will be that price.

SCT offers the ability to remove ALL torque management and custom tuning. Superchips and Edge do not.
So I guess I should wait for the x3 to come out?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Or find a used sct and pay to have it unlocked and reloaded from hemifever.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If you email Sean (hemifever) and mention DodgeForum, he will give you the discounted price quoted earlier. His website is not for Dodgeforum members, its retail pricing, so to speak.

hemifever@aol.com last time I checked.

Not sure what he will price the x3 for though.

In my 2001 Ram, I used a Superchips. Had problems after an update, and they kept telling me it was a problem with the truck, and not the tuner. Truck would buck and hesitate, but only when tuned. After a few other owners started having the issue, they finally looked into it rather than sending out the standard, templated "its your truck, not our product" reply. Low and behold, they discovered an error in their coding that messed up the fuel map for certain 2001 Ram 1500s. The end result was I had a $250 paperweight for three months because they just simply refused to look at the issue.

I went SCT after that. Not only was it better, but Sean was fantastic to work with. Even if you go the cheaper, "canned" tune route, if you have issues with pinging, he will redo your tune (trim it back slightly or whatever tweaking it needs) to make sure you are running well. Good customer service.

I wish SCT would work for my 2010 Dakota. After they release this new version, I may have to look at them again.

Last edited by jasonw; 07-18-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Superchips vs. Edge Vs. SCT