2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Water in gas stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM
VARam1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in gas stories

Can some folks post some real life "water in my gas" (not diesel) stories? I know all the theoreticals about water in fuel, how it gets there, what it does to your engine, etc. Also, I've read all the websites about additives like alcohol, enzymes, and stabilizers. What are your real-life experiences?

Please post if you have a story that goes like:
"My truck was running like !!@#$%.........
I used additive/treatment XYZ......
My experience was awesome/fair/bad/not-worth-the-money.....
I recommend this to everyone.....or I'll never do that again!"

What kind of symptoms have you seen and how well did your treatment work?

--VARam1500...

Old 09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Wasn't my truck.... but, car wouldn't start. At all. Wouldn't even think about firing. Would crank all day though. Had good spark, and what I thought was gas in the carb..... (smelled like gas anyway....) but, just wouldn't run. So, pulled fuel line off carb, stuck line in glass jar, cranked engine for a minute. Looked in glass jar....... quarter inch of gas on top of two inches of WATER???? What the???? Pulled gas tank. Drained, cleaned, reinstalled, flushed fuel line. Put some gas in tank, primed carb, cranked.... fired right up.....

Fast forward, two weeks later..... car wouldn't start...... same symptoms.... same fix.... I was REAL curious where all that water was coming from.... Until two days later, I ventured outside to see my granddaughter (five years old) "Filling Up" my car for me..... from the garden hose.....

She was quite distressed at my reaction... after all, she was 'helping' me... wasn't she? After explaining it all to her, and suggesting she NOT do that again... all was well, and strangely enough, the car was reliable again....

Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have never had a problem with gas in my truck tank, but I did siphon 17 gallons of gas out of a boat I bought, I knew it had water in it and it was the reason I siphoned it out of the boat.

The gas was from pre-ethanol and we figured close to 8-9 years old, went strait into my truck, nowhere close by to dispose of it and then I didn't want to pay for disposing of it so I ran it through the truck. I had less than a quarter of a tank and had to put 3 or so gallons of gas on top of it to fill the truck up.

For good measure I put some star-tron gas treatment through it, enough for 15 gallons according to the bottle. I noticed longer cranking on startup but other than that no significant change in how the truck ran, even had it on the turnpike doing 85mph and didn't feel any misfires, or lack of power.

Its been over 8 months and the motor is still turning.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this isn't about my truck or anything, but a co-worker of mine had a little Suzuki Esteem that came awfully close to having sugar contact the fuel in the gas tank. He got caught messing around with several ladies at once, and one of them decided to get back at him by putting sugar in the gas tank. Well, he got hella lucky: his filler neck was convoluted in such a way that the sugar only made it to the bend, and no further, and he happened to see the little bit of sugar around the top of the filler neck when he stopped at a gas station. Needless to say, he got someone to tow him, he removed the neck and cleaned it all out. Car ran fine, that is until later down the road when he leaked all the oil out on the interstate and locked right up lol

Quick Reply: Water in gas stories