2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ram Knocking and bogging, please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Chris Snow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ram Knocking and bogging, please Help

So I picked up a 98 Doge Ram 1500 with the 5.2L its not 4x4, I put new plugs in it and oil change/filter and she ran like a dream and shifted like a dream up until a day ago... I was on the freeway and heard a scraping noise. Pulled over the right driver rocker was off and dragging, ok w.e just cut it off and went on my way or so I thought now the ram knocks and will bog out really hard if i give it ANY gas (wont go over 1500 RMP) she didn't just bog out instantly at first it lost power over the course of a half mile or so. The knocking sound also seems to be coming from somewhere around the oil pan or lower end of the motor. anyone have any ideals on this?

Thanks in advance and sorry if my post was a bit messy

Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The rocker fell off? A pic of what you are talking about here would be good....... I am somewhat confused.

Sounds like a clogged cat.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Chris Snow

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The rocker fell off? A pic of what you are talking about here would be good....... I am somewhat confused.

Sounds like a clogged cat.
the rocker panel I belive its called or the foot stand it fell off on one side and was dragging backwards might of hit something underneath Im not sure and I cant take pics the truck is still where it broke down

Old 04-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Chris Snow

Also forgot to mention the truck idles pretty ok other then the knocking sound

Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok,
How is your oil pressure?

Does it continue to bog if you remove the front O2 sensor? Removing the sensor would allow exhaust gasses to flow out the O2 bung. If it doesn't bog down, then you've got a clogged cat. Only remove the front sensor for testing, driving without it will give you problems.

How about your plenum gasket? If you look down your throttle body into the intake, do you have oil pulling? Might want to check that as well.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Chris Snow
Default Update:

Cut my catalytic converter off now she runs like a champ aside from being loud af