2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:07 PM
PRRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Haha, people think MN gets a lot of snow, but half of it is SALT! I'm born and raised MN, go Twins!

He must've found a southern/western truck or garage queen.
true indeed

Old 09-03-2017, 09:08 PM
PRRAM

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wow. They don't use salt on the roads there???? Or is the truck from elsewhere?
yes a lot of salt here in the winter

Old 10-01-2017, 06:51 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Default Stay away from dodge ram trucks ( 2nd gen ) on facebook

OMG the level of stupidity on that facebook page knows no bounds.. and to the person here that sent me the invite
please don't do me any other favors in the future...

20k + members with the majority of them including the moderators probably 7 years old or not even born when these
trucks came out they know nothing even with forums like this one for research....

Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM
pershingd
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's been my opinion about many vehicle specific FB groups...

Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm helping someone who doesn't know how to shop for a vehicle find a replacement for a ragged out 1997 Ford Explorer (4x4) he bought a year ago. He needs a utility type vehicle since he's a tradesman (painter), so a truck is out of the question. Said vehicle also had to haul his family of three around. The early model Ford Escapes look good on the reliability factor, but I've had no luck finding anything. The Jeep Liberty seems like a good choice, when paired with the V6. I found a 2004 with only 109,000 miles. It's a clean 4x4 Limited model. Again, the 2004 year seems to have good reports with reliability and cost effective repairs.

Any input from those who can opine is appreciated.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I didn't think Consumer Reports cared much for the Liberty.... but, that may have been the more recent flavors.

What about a Grand Cherokee? Or similar?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I didn't think Consumer Reports cared much for the Liberty.... but, that may have been the more recent flavors.

What about a Grand Cherokee? Or similar?
If I could find a Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L and OBD II, I'd push him toward it. He needs something large enough to hold all of his tools and probably 5-gallon buckets of paint as the job dictates. I would be game for a later Cherokee with the V6 if it's not an issue. He has limited funds, but he needs my help to look at something that isn't beat to ****. Unfortunately, when he bought that turd Explorer, he was more concerned that the radio have a working CD player and that the A/C worked. Dash was torn up; running gear is shot; the A/C died in the middle of summer; and, he now says the transmission is acting weird.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
If I could find a Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L and OBD II, I'd push him toward it. He needs something large enough to hold all of his tools and probably 5-gallon buckets of paint as the job dictates. I would be game for a later Cherokee with the V6 if it's not an issue. He has limited funds, but he needs my help to look at something that isn't beat to ****. Unfortunately, when he bought that turd Explorer, he was more concerned that the radio have a working CD player and that the A/C worked. Dash was torn up; running gear is shot; the A/C died in the middle of summer; and, he now says the transmission is acting weird.
4 door Dakota? Or maybe a Durango? Does he plan on having more kids?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 PM
pershingd
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another option could be a 1st gen Durango if you could find one in his price range.

*** HeyYou beat me to the Durango suggestion...

Old 10-16-2017, 08:11 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
I'm helping someone who doesn't know how to shop for a vehicle find a replacement for a ragged out 1997 Ford Explorer (4x4) he bought a year ago. He needs a utility type vehicle since he's a tradesman (painter), so a truck is out of the question. Said vehicle also had to haul his family of three around. The early model Ford Escapes look good on the reliability factor, but I've had no luck finding anything. The Jeep Liberty seems like a good choice, when paired with the V6. I found a 2004 with only 109,000 miles. It's a clean 4x4 Limited model. Again, the 2004 year seems to have good reports with reliability and cost effective repairs.

Any input from those who can opine is appreciated.
Seems like the 3.7 v6 used in the Jeep Liberties had known oil circulation issues.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread