2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Just Curious build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Just curious
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slowly progressing

the bumpers are done completely along with 75% of the paint.

here are two shots of the front bumper:

here is the rear bumper about 75% done

And here is the bumper 90%

The task was then to start painting as its getting cooler. first i started with the tailgate. There were two major dents so i drilled a hole in the backside of the tailgate and used a punch to get 90% of the dents out. sadly had to use a little bondo.. did not want to cut it out and do sheet welding.

i then sanded it all down for the final time. 80,120,220,320 then finally 400 grit paper. sprayed 3 coats of primer then started on the base coat.
decided to do the grill while i was at it.

these are the results of the grill and tailgate. i dont know what the hell happened with the grill. it still needs to be redone.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Just curious
Amateur
Default but wait there is more

onto sanding of the bed. It did not take too long to do, except for the rock pecks..

here is the majority of the bed

the tail pipe was in the way of grinding and i plan to axle dump it for him or leave it like this since its supported already:

here is the bed primed or maybe first coat of paint, not sure which haha.

And yes you guessed it, i did screw up.. paint gun flow dial was bumped and didnt know it.

but here it is fixed. no i didnt paint with the garage door closed ever!

i didnt know how to hold the gas door at first so i did this:

once the bed was done i decided to do the bed liner and be done with it completely:

check out that sharp tape line!

Old 11-29-2016, 12:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Wow, that turned out really nice. Wanna do mine next?

Old 11-29-2016, 12:35 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use a plastic primer / adhesion promoter on the grill? Cool build and I like the makeshift paintbooth

Old 11-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Just curious
Amateur

I don't know if I plan to do more than just a few more in my lifetime. Dads truck is next on the list.

well I left the grill scuffed with 120 (because plastic) and I sprayed the grill with the same primer as the truck and thought to myself if this bubbles I'll go get plastic specific.. but it didn't so I sprayed the base on a day later. And then it crinkled on the corners.. I thought it was because of contamination but I sanded it then tried again to no avail.. I guess I'll have to go get plastic specific stuff. I still have the door handles to do as well.

And thanks on the paint booth ha I did have it fully enclosed with a flap to go in and out, found out that doesn't work well. Needs to only have a front, sides, top and bottom. I could've done without for the paint but cleanup will be easier now. However have to have it for the Bedliner that was a freaking mess!

Last edited by Just curious; 11-29-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 04-15-2017, 12:53 AM
Just curious
Amateur

Just realized I never uploaded the rest of the build.. I failed you guys/gals! I'll try to get it up within the next week!

Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

And yes you guessed it, i did screw up.. paint gun flow dial was bumped and didnt know it.
Always test spray on a piece of cardboard before painting. This way you know you have the correct pattern and flow. Is that the look you where after? Looks to me it needs a clear coat or two. Was the grill painted before or bare plastic? What primer are you using? It is a sealer also? Sealer is important so the finish paint doesn't react to anything under it.

Quick Reply: Just Curious build thread