2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Rear lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 02:06 AM
01’
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lift

I recently bought the RougCountrt 2.5in lift for my 2001 1500. After I put the coil spacers on the front I went to put the blocks in the back, but I found 3.25 in blocks already there. the truck is stock so they much me factory blocks. I’ve been told not to stack blocks but I saw on the RCwebsite that it says to stack them but I’m still skeptical. What have you guys done about this? It sits about 2in lower in the back.

Last edited by 01’; 01-13-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep, the truck came stock with those rear blocks. I am not a fan of stacking them either....... I think it's a REALLY bad idea, but, it appears that a lot of the lift companies want you to stack blocks in the rear of the dodges...... Hhhhmmmmm....... (I was always told that was a bad idea..... no clue what changed..... if anything)

2.5 inch blocks in front will level the truck nicely. If you want more in the rear, maybe go for an add-a-leaf, or some such.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:03 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

There are so many variations in 2nd gens that you really have to do what's right for YOU and your TRUCK. I decided on a 3" lift with AAL to avoid the block but also add load capacity since I have the lightest springs Dodge made (3-leaf only). Most 1500s have 4 leaves and some 5 leaves which already sit as high or higher than mine after my lift! I just wanted to at least match what everybody else has. Now with my tiny leaf peak, I could easily have added a block and felt fine. These companies sell blocks all the time yet the "internet" says bad. If you use new bolts and install it correctly, you'll obviously be fine. I was told to not re-use my bolts but the AAL didn't come with new ones so I did re-use them and guess what? Almost 8 years later and 100k everything's just fine. I basically made mine into a regular 1500.

In the old days, a 2" puck would level the front, while 2.5 or 3" would give you nose high look. I would add a small block AND AAL if I were you to gain capacity and proper stance. But again, every truck sits different and looks different. Especially to the eye of the beholder. You will need longer bolts most likely, though. And there are many different AAL sizes and lengths. Also, at 3" it's good to change control arms and track bar length but again, some trucks can get away with it. I chose to do it all "right" and pieced together my lift. It took me as long to do the AAL as it did the whole front with springs and arms so be prepared for that. If doing blocks, you'll be done in no time. Happy hunting!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd never stack blocks. The last thing you want is one shooting out as you're going down the road. I don't understand why lift companies sell this junk.

Spend the extra money on an add a leaf instead. You'll be much better off.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I'd never stack blocks. The last thing you want is one shooting out as you're going down the road. I don't understand why lift companies sell this junk.

Spend the extra money on an add a leaf instead. You'll be much better off.
And that is EXACTLY why I won't recommend it, and certainly wouldn't do it.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 PM
Ramman18
Champion

See? The internet still says that yet in all my years I've never heard of or read a single incident where a block broke, dislodged, or otherwise caused any issue. So do whatever makes you happy OP!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ramman18
See? The internet still says that yet in all my years I've never heard of or read a single incident where a block broke, dislodged, or otherwise caused any issue. So do whatever makes you happy OP!
Another reason I don't like additional blocks on the dodge trucks though, is there is ALREADY a block in there, at least 3 inches tall. Add another block, and all you are doing is extending that nice lever arm the axle has on the springs. Axle wrap can become a real issue there......

Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 PM
jsmith1969
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a couple posts where it happened over the years, but tbf they were on vehicles that were wheeling pretty hard

Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Yeah, it's really been an "urban legend" on the interwebs. I'm sure it CAN happen, just not when stacking a 1-2" block on what we already have on our wimpy trucks. Axle wrap? With the weak Magnum engines? That'd be the day.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, it's really been an "urban legend" on the interwebs. I'm sure it CAN happen, just not when stacking a 1-2" block on what we already have on our wimpy trucks. Axle wrap? With the weak Magnum engines? That'd be the day.
And how many folks that install a lift leave the engine stock?

And I actually got the information originally from Four Wheel and OffRoad magazine, before Al Gore invented the internet........

Last edited by HeyYou; 01-18-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear lift