DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech-146/)
-   -   Truck wont do a burnout (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech/417889-truck-wont-do-a-burnout.html)

Trickman669 09-11-2018 10:23 PM

Truck wont do a burnout

My truck is a 2001 dodge ram with the 360 motor and 4.10 gearing but for some reason will not do a brakestand. All that happens is the torque converter comes up to stall speed at 2k and then the truck just starts to roll forward when i give it more gas. I have tried giving it less brakes but when i do the tires just wont break loose, I have a old set of tires that I havent tried useing so it could be that my current tires just have to good of tread. Just not sure if I am doing something wrong or my motor is just to weak.

MoparFanatic21 09-12-2018 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Trickman669 (Post 3409984)
My truck is a 2001 dodge ram with the 360 motor and 4.10 gearing but for some reason will not do a brakestand. All that happens is the torque converter comes up to stall speed at 2k and then the truck just starts to roll forward when i give it more gas. I have tried giving it less brakes but when i do the tires just wont break loose, I have a old set of tires that I havent tried useing so it could be that my current tires just have to good of tread. Just not sure if I am doing something wrong or my motor is just to weak.

I can spin my 37s with 3.55 gears on my 2500 with 1 ton breaks and discs in the rear. I'm not too sure on what your problem could be

Ramman18 09-13-2018 09:48 AM

Problem is that your truck is normal. I've never had the power to spin unless I'm turning on gravel or grass and get rpms way over 3k. Otherwise there's no way it's breaking loose.

Trickman669 09-13-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ramman18 (Post 3410190)
Problem is that your truck is normal. I've never had the power to spin unless I'm turning on gravel or grass and get rpms way over 3k. Otherwise there's no way it's breaking loose.

but how come so many people can do them with the exact same setup, i feel like it must be user error.

HeyYou 09-13-2018 06:12 PM

My truck will burn them forever if I felt like it, even on pavement..... or concrete. (the black marks in my driveway attest to that....) I've got a few more ponies than the V-8's, but, even with my 96, leaving rubber wasn't too much of a stretch. I suspect something is off there. Does it run smooth? Have any trouble maintaining speed up hills? (cruise control is a great test for that.)

Ramman18 09-13-2018 08:43 PM

This has been debated ever since I joined forums in 2005. A lot of it was attributed to deathflash, or any number of things. I even asked a dealer in about 2003 why my truck seemed slow (mind you this was stock with 31" tires) and he shrugged and said, "small motor, big truck."

Some trucks just seem to have been given a gift of power. Mine wasn't but it has sure been reliable. Used every day since 1999 and never been stranded I'd say it's got it where it counts. I don't want to spin out or break loose especially here with all the rain. I'd rather it grab and go.

fj5gtx 09-13-2018 09:38 PM

The only reason to do a brake stand, is if you're drag racing and need the tires hot-n-sticky quickly so you get a good jump off the line when the tree counts down. And when we do that, its usually with line lock (locks the front brakes only) and wet rear tires. Without line lock and water, you're really putting alot of stress on the drive train for no good reason. Drag racing that truck much? I think if you are, you're probably losing every race :D Back in the day, there were some people that would run a mix of bleach and water bottle in their turnk with a windshield washer pump pushing water through the rear wheel wells to spray down the tire for a smokey burn out. Not sure who they were trying to impress, but they sure did make the tire resellers happy. Random pic off youtube...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...63bd3ec97b.jpg

Trickman669 09-13-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ramman18 (Post 3410276)
This has been debated ever since I joined forums in 2005. A lot of it was attributed to deathflash, or any number of things. I even asked a dealer in about 2003 why my truck seemed slow (mind you this was stock with 31" tires) and he shrugged and said, "small motor, big truck."

Some trucks just seem to have been given a gift of power. Mine wasn't but it has sure been reliable. Used every day since 1999 and never been stranded I'd say it's got it where it counts. I don't want to spin out or break loose especially here with all the rain. I'd rather it grab and go.

So basically if my truck wasnt kissed by dodge when it was made im screwed.

Trickman669 09-13-2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3410252)
My truck will burn them forever if I felt like it, even on pavement..... or concrete. (the black marks in my driveway attest to that....) I've got a few more ponies than the V-8's, but, even with my 96, leaving rubber wasn't too much of a stretch. I suspect something is off there. Does it run smooth? Have any trouble maintaining speed up hills? (cruise control is a great test for that.)

The thing runs pretty good for 160k miles doesnt seem to run bad. As for going up hills it does it fine as long as I push it into the passing gear but I assume most trucks would lose speed in a low gear on a hill.

Moparite 09-14-2018 06:28 AM

Ever hear of line locks? They are a great thing! No fighting the break to get the wheels spinning.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...erms-_-keyword