DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech-146/)
-   -   Cheap Fender Flares (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech/418149-cheap-fender-flares.html)

armynurse 09-22-2018 12:24 AM

Cheap Fender Flares

It won't let me delete a post either. What's happened to this forum?

armynurse 09-22-2018 12:33 AM

Lets try again. I had my truck repainted from Driftwood to 2015 Corvette Shark Gray. It looks good except where the paint is getting chipped inside the fender well lip. I'm thinking of getting a set of cheap amazon non-pocket flares. Anyone have any good experience with a particular set?

And they seemed to have changed how you post pictures; now I can't seem to do so without it totally filling the text box. Any ideas?

armynurse 09-22-2018 01:12 AM

Let's see if I can post a picture as an example of a fender flare:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...62a35d785e.png

jkeaton 09-22-2018 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by armynurse (Post 3411269)
It won't let me delete a post either. What's happened to this forum?

Only mods and admins can delete posts.

fj5gtx 09-22-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by armynurse (Post 3411272)
Let's see if I can post a picture as an example of a fender flare:

I saw a set of what looked to be those on a 2nd gen truck before, I think, because they have that one indentation near the body line. If that indentation is unique to the brand, then they fit ok. Why is the paint flaking off? Are you off pavement alot? Shouldn't happen to a street driven truck, there is something up with the paint job if it is.

armynurse 09-22-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by fj5gtx (Post 3411282)
I saw a set of what looked to be those on a 2nd gen truck before, I think, because they have that one indentation near the body line. If that indentation is unique to the brand, then they fit ok. Why is the paint flaking off? Are you off pavement alot? Shouldn't happen to a street driven truck, there is something up with the paint job if it is.

Thanks - I might just get them then. I think the paint prep might not have been the greatest on the inside of the fender well lip and that's what's causing it. That and I was probably too aggressive with the pressure washer at the car wash. I'm rarely off-pavement with the truck (that's what the Jeep is for).

The truck was repainted twice with the Driftwood color, and then this (hopefully) darker Shark Gray will be the last time I get it painted. The tires do stick out a little bit, so I just want to protect the fender wells a bit, and cover the tires with a minimal of coverage.

oxymoron29 09-22-2018 12:34 PM

Have you considered just sanding and roll on bedlining the wheel well strip of the fender? Easy touch ups and resistance to future chips, it goes unnoticed too.

Maybe its me but I have never seen a flare that looks "right" on these trucks, each brand and style has quirks that I cannot get used to. And I am a fan of pocket flares on almost every other truck

armynurse 09-22-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by oxymoron29 (Post 3411312)
Have you considered just sanding and roll on bedlining the wheel well strip of the fender? Easy touch ups and resistance to future chips, it goes unnoticed too.

Maybe its me but I have never seen a flare that looks "right" on these trucks, each brand and style has quirks that I cannot get used to. And I am a fan of pocket flares on almost every other truck

That's actually not a bad idea with the bedliner... I'll have to look into it. I haven't ordered any fender flares yet (there's no rush - still looking at options without spending a lot of money). Truck looks excellent for a 96 with 225,000 miles on it, zero rust, and I plan on keeping it forever.

MoparFanatic21 09-22-2018 07:13 PM

I bought wider fiberglass fenders and bedsides that stick out 4"/5" for my truck

2bit 10-06-2018 10:44 PM

i can't get rid of this