2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Painters!! clear coat over good paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 02:00 AM
i4ni
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painters!! clear coat over good paint

Paint (red) on my (98) Ram truck is really good for the most part so I'm thinking about re-clearing all the good panels (no clear coat loss) for new UV protection and doing base coat-clear coat on the roof and possibly the hood. The top of the bed rails have some clear coat loss that I could possibly get Line X'ed but I'm wondering about taping off a line then razor blade all the clear off above the line then spray the rails with that textured plastic rocker panel paint in red of course with one of those 3-m texture guns and then clear the whole box side. It would have a hard line you could see but so would Line X and I'd rather stay with red with clear coat because I've heard that Line X fades and they may not even be doing color anymore. Any coherent thoughts?

Old 04-19-2020, 09:07 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Irrespective of the clearcoat condition, the base color will have faded, meaning any new basecoat won’t match.

Personally, I’d paint the whole thing.

Quick Reply: Painters!! clear coat over good paint