DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Want to run 34 inch tires on stock 99 Ram will they fit (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/10506-want-to-run-34-inch-tires-on-stock-99-ram-will-they-fit.html)

R. Phillips 09-11-2004 02:27 PM

Want to run 34 inch tires on stock 99 Ram will they fit

I'm wanting to run a 305/70/17 mud tire it is a 34 inch tire. on my 99 ram swb stock suspension. I'm wanting to know if they'll fit. Has anyone run this size tire. Thanks Russell from TN

loosewheelbob 09-11-2004 03:56 PM

RE: Want to run 34 inch tires on stock 99 Ram will they fit

They will fit, but without the front end lifted at least a couple inches, they will almost definitely rub while turning, especially when the suspension is flexing. You should have no problem with the back tires.

If you get them, I highly recommend getting coil spacers or taller springs. There are serveral companies that make 2" coil spacers, and I believe Skyjacker makes 2" lift coil springs for our trucks. On the short wheel base, it might make the front sit higher than the rear. Add-a-leafs would probably fix that.

Here's a pic of my '98 Ram w/ 305/70R16's and a 3" lift, just to give you an idea. They do rub a bit when turning and the suspension is compressed, but that's probably due to my driving when offroad
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...Ramonbeach.JPG

R. Phillips 09-11-2004 07:40 PM

Thanks i might go with the 285/70/17 its a 33 inch tire. Hey loosewheelbob what gear ratio are you running with those 33's.

BULLDOG 09-11-2004 09:14 PM

R. Phillips

I believe that they will also rub, I suggest bringing up the front-end a bit. Spring spacers work well.
Most reliable tire shops (Americas Tire) will test fit a set for you.

I know in some brands of 285-75-16 will rub on the frame. I know that you are going with 17's but i doubt that will make a difference.

Good Luck

R. Phillips 09-11-2004 09:48 PM

The 285/70/17 is a 33 unlike a 285/75/16 is a 32. Do you know who makes a coil spring spacer or such part that would lift it a inch or two for a 99 dodge ram 4x4. Thanks Russell from TN

loosewheelbob 09-11-2004 10:19 PM

If you use your stock wheels, the 285's will rub on the control arms when making tight corners, but won't hit the body or bumper. It doesn't hurt anything, but it does get annoying and increases your turning radius. If you have aftermarket wheels with less backspacing like I have, the tires won't hit the control arms, but may hit the bumper when turning on uneven ground.

Here's a couple links for spacers and springs:
Skyjacker 2" springs
The part number for the 2" springs is D20, just type that in on the search page that comes up
Revtek coil spring spacers
Rocky Mountain Suspension

On the Rocky Mountain Link, the spacers are near the bottom of the page. They don't have the part # shown for the skyjacker springs, but if you were to contact them they may be able to help.

The spacers aren't too difficult to install, you just need a way to get the front suspension to droop enough to get the springs out, and then back in with the spacers installed. I would think that the lift springs would be alot easier to do.

R. Phillips 09-11-2004 10:32 PM

Thanks that will be a big help. Russell from TN

loosewheelbob 09-11-2004 10:44 PM

No problem, I'm always glad to help out in any way I can. If you have any other questions, just drop me a line.

BULLDOG 09-11-2004 11:31 PM

R. Phillips
Well it looks like you are getting some help, and things just about situated. Just thought that I would mention a few things concerning tire size.
Right off the bat, manufacture to manufacture sizes change dramatically. Take a BFG to a GoodYear of the same exact labeled size and they will be different. For sake of argument, I'm going to exclude conventional street tires, only because there variance is less.
I'm going to make this as easy as I can; Lets take a BFG 33X12.50x15 (very common size) one in a Mud and one in the TKO All Terrain, they are different in height. Almost by an inch. Now lets take you choice of these same tires, mix and match wheel diameters to 16.5. A 15" to a 16.5" BFG Mud is exactly the same, and again the same with the all terrain.
When we go with a 16" wheel we are talking metric, little different. Metric tires are read as such: 285X75X16 Okay, 285 millimeters of tread width. 75= 75% of tread width, thus you have 213.75mm of sidewall, and finally a wheel diameter of 16". Again this varies DRAMATICALLY from manufacture to manufacture in addition to tire application...tread design.
So in essence, calling a 285-75-16 a 32+ or whatever may not be correct, also running a 285-70-17 under normal standards will always be bigger than a 285-75-16. Do the math, and take a few measurement.
I do have quite a few trucks running through the shop with large tires, if you have an exact make and model of a tire that your wondering about maybe I have it here, I can give you an exact measurement with it installed.
"loosewheelbob" is so correct on backspacing, I was assuming on factory wheels, I already know that I'm wrong on this thread. Backspacing is critical, along with wheel width. The wider you go, the shorter the tire.
Hope that I've helped.

BULLDOG 09-11-2004 11:32 PM

Oh I almost forgot..."Daystar" makes a great leveling kit for your truck.
SPACERS